DIY ISP

Thread: DIY ISP

Question DIY ISP

Greetings,

Let me start off by saying, I'm no networking whiz.

I am currently running Windows 98 and an ADSL connection. I was wondering if there was any way I could establish something where as I could grant permission to an individual to dial into my computer(or another computer in my house acting as a router of some sort?) therefore granting them access to the Internet(leeching from my bandwidth)?

A long explanation isn't neccessary. Any links/tutorials/ etc would be appreciated.

thank you

have you tried ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). If you need help setting it up goto Start:Help
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

He wants to dial up his computer so ICS is not an option.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

You would need winnt server or win2k in order to do that. Both come with RRAS (routing and remote access). The other problem is that since you only have analog phone lines, the most your friend could connect at is 28.8k. In order to get 56k, you need a digital phone line, which costs extra.

arg, well... as for the digital phone line.. I remember hearing something about the phone co digitizing the line when my ADSL was installed. Either way thanks for the suggestions.

In win2k, with the remote sharing option.. would that allow remote access to the Internet and also the ability to leech my bandwidth?

Just use Dial-Up Server. I'm pretty sure once your friend connects with that then he is part of your network, therefore will have access to the internet.

Like stated above, it would only be a 56k connection due to the analog phone lines. Good luck!

[quote]Originally posted by SuBz:
    <strong>Just use Dial-Up Server. I'm pretty sure once your friend connects with that then he is part of your network, therefore will have access to the internet.

Like stated above, it would only be a 56k connection due to the analog phone lines. Good luck!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never been able to make that work for net access. I don't believe that's what it was intended for.

I would also suggest reading through your user agreement for the ASDL, most agreements strictly prohibit connection sharing for this specific reason, and this may very well be a violation of your contract. So, if the company finds out about it, you could be disconnected, sued, ect...

It's basically a form of theft from their point of view, so I'd be carefull about it.

I use ameritech/sbc dsl and they provide me with a free dialup account. Maybe your ISP has something similar?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

How far away does your friend live? If you have LoS, you might want to 802.11b a connection to your friend. A directional antenna connected to a wireless bridge at either end and you've got WAN. If you wanna get slick you could encrypt packets (VPN) before they leave via wireless for enhanced security in addition to the basic 64bit WEP.
    end of line.

[quote]Originally posted by Kymera:
    <strong>How far away does your friend live? If you have LoS, you might want to 802.11b a connection to your friend. A directional antenna connected to a wireless bridge at either end and you've got WAN. If you wanna get slick you could encrypt packets (VPN) before they leave via wireless for enhanced security in addition to the basic 64bit WEP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or you could not do that and let anybody who has a wireless card access the internet via your wireless network.
    Were did you say you lived again?

The direction antenna will focus the signal, allowing for greater distances as well as limiting the people who could actually access the network to those right inbetween the two antennas. That seems pretty good to me.
    end of line.

I don't think I would want to go with wireless(I'm not totally ruling out that possibility though). Although I do live in a more rural area(per the security issue) the person I am trying to share access with lives roughly 1 1/2 miles away. I have very little knowledge of wireless. I suppose a roof mounted antenna would be needed(on this end?).

What I would really like to do is host a dial up account, windows 2k RRAS is looking more and more tempting.

Is there a linux solution to this?

Many thanks