[RESOLVED] Direct Cable Connection Network Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] Direct Cable Connection Network Problems

Roop

Post Direct Cable Connection Network Problems

hey all.

i have a DCC network set up for file printer and net access sharing right now between my win98 server and win98 client.

the file/internet works and multiplayer gaming over ipx works. i haven't tried the printer yet.

anyways, i have 2 small problems that i would like to fix. here they are:

1. when i connect to my server from my client, i get a message asking for a password username and a domain. i have the pass and user but i don't know what domain it's talking about.

2. network nieboghood doesn't work correctly. i cick on enitre network and it just says "Unable to browse the network. The network is not accessable."
    i can use the host's resources and if i goto start > find > computers > i can type in the name of the server and find it.

can i fix this or do i have to live with them?

rscos

Have you installed file & print sharing?
    Have you shared any drives/folders on the server?
    Are your network settings trying to log you onto a domain (I think this setting is found in Client for MS Networks)?

------------------
    rscos (MCP)
    "Sometimes, I think the gene pool could have used a little chlorine."

install netbeui - it is an active protocol that should fix the network neighborhood problem, as for the other - make sure that you Client for Microsoft Networks properties do not specify a domain and that you both belong to the same workgroup (check server and client). Also if you have the slot avail you may wish to invest in a pair of NIC's and a cable. It's faster and more stable, as well as a pair of 10BaseT NIC's should be no more than $10 and the cable another $10 - giving you a stable and quicker network solution for $20 - also eliminating your two problems. Also try to use IPX/SPX for file/printer sharing - set to 802.3 protocol - this should be faster and more reliable (as well as easy to config.)

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

iateyourcat

cyberhh has a great idea. lose the dcc and get a couple of NICs and netbeui is great for a small number of machines. the move to NICs could resolve the browsing issue. Browsing occurs at a higher level than name to address resolution. browsing requires a browse master to which the server component of your microsoft client will advertise itself. clients then contact the browse master for an updated list of clients who are sharing resources. if your not sharing resources you won't be on this list (in 98).

do you plan on connecting these machines to the internet? if so, you may want to lose all protocols except tcp/ip. the more protocols you run, the more overhead you have and performance suffers. most games support tcp/ip and netbios runs on tcp/ip so you can figure that practically any app or service you can think of, for your two win98 machines, will run on tcp/ip.

get two nics and hub or a crossover cable, lose ipx (and netbeui), install tcp/ip, install internet connection sharing on the machine that you'll connect to the internet and viola. i say this not to give you a whole lot of complexity and extra information but because most people who start out running dcc or two NICs and ipx usually wind up wanting to share the internet as well as each others resources.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

Thank you for clearing that up for me - I actually forgot to specify the effects of IPX vs. TCP/IP when it comes to internet sharing. However I still would reccommend trying Netbeui - it was designed to be the fastest protocol for a small network due to it's active communication between nodes. Enabling NetBeui on a less than 20 node network should speed up routine network tasks and not hinder Internet sharing at all. Also I have seen a frequent problem where browsing will not operate correctly without a domain controller or netbeui installed to broadcast information about all the nodes on the network.

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010