[RESOLVED] dial up?

Thread: [RESOLVED] dial up?

bushby123uk

Exclamation dial up?

I've built my own computer and installed many devices on it but when it comes to networks I don't have a clue. I have an AMD k6-2 processor and an Asus motherboard with 64 Mb of ram and a 10 gig HD. I recently purchased a 10Mbps ethernet network starter kit, hoping to share printers, the internet and play games. The printer and gateway internet access is fine but playing games is hard.
    Whenever I try to do a multiplayer game over the LAN network or TCP the game either exits and tries to connect to the internet or stalls sometimes, I have installed the appropriate drivers but I desperately need your help to thrash my brother at a game of age of empires

what IP addresses and subnet are you using for your LAN???? When you go to play network games over TCP/IP and you give it an IP that is not in your subnet it will try and connect to the internet to reach the IP.

------------------
    "You dumb bastard...it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"

iamtheman

**NOTE** The following advice is made assuming you have your network settings right!! Make sure you are on the right subnet, etc.

I've had this happen on occasion thanks to Internet Explorer. If you go to Internet Options, which you can get to through the tools menu in current versions, go to the connections tab, chances are this is set to dial your default connection, change it to never dial a connection before you launch your game. This should fix the problem.

------------------
    Born to Network

To clarify for anyone else who may read this topic - "theman"'s solution requires one more thing to be complete - either switch the setting listed above back to connect as needed or create an icon on your desktop and manually dial your isp to connect to the internet and disconnect manually when finished.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

compaqman

TCP/IP can be a tricky thing. You say that the shared Internet works so it sounds like your TCP/IP is configured properly. The best way to play AOE and other games like it is to install the IPX/SPX compatible protocol. This is faster the TCP/IP in games and does not require any configuring.

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.

SiCkNuT

I've had the same thing happen to me... It was the setting in IE, set it to Never dial and it was fine...

------------------
    [ i N S A N i T Y 2 0 0 0 ]

bushby123uk

Cool

Thanks for all your help i have solved the problem. I now use an IPX connection betwen them which is direct and it works excellent.