Broadband Cable Networking

Thread: Broadband Cable Networking

Post Broadband Cable Networking

I'm not an expert at networking, so help me out here! I have Cable Broadband service to my house, and I want to network it. I have a Linksys Cable router and an 8 port ethernet hub. I also have a P4 1.3ghz custom made machine, a Gateway 400mhz, and a Toshiba Laptop, all have 10/100 cards, all running Win98SE. What is the best way to run these and share the modem ? What Protocol ? What Services ? All suggestions appreciated, or mayeb you can link me to a site that covers this topic. Many Thanks.
    "We have assumed control"

If all you want to do is share internet, all you should have to do is make sure TCP/ip is installed as a network protocol on all computers and that automatically obtain IP address is checked under the TCP/IP properties. Then simply plug the cable or DSL modem into the Router WAN port, and the computers into the switch side and the router should work right out of the box.

If you want to share files and all computers are win98 then install netbui as a protocol on all computers and make sure they are on the same workgroup. You don't need to configure anything with NETBUI. Intsall file and print sharing service on all machines, and you are set.

this router does it have a dhcp server on it?

If so id just hook your hub into the LAN port og the router. The Cable modem goes into the WAN port. then hook all your computers to the hub. And have all the computers run off dhcp. That should wokr and get you on the net.

Protocols you need are tcp/ip, windows networking and thats about it. You can install IPX for your online games.

[quote]Originally posted by DigitalExpl0it:
    <strong>this router does it have a dhcp server on it?

If so id just hook your hub into the LAN port og the router. The Cable modem goes into the WAN port. then hook all your computers to the hub. And have all the computers run off dhcp. That should wokr and get you on the net.

Protocols you need are tcp/ip, windows networking and thats about it. You can install IPX for your online games.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IPX/SPX is a protocol from Novell. It's not used at ALL on the internet or online. Older games, like doom and Diablo use it for Networked games.

Unless you play older multiplayer games, don't bother with IPX/spx.

For the other protocols, use TCP/IP only. If your running a 9x system, then netbuis will be needed on all systems. Windows 2000/XP(and i THINK win Me) supports netbuis over TCP/IP.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

You hit it right on, I used the Netbui and Microsoft File/Print sharing and set the workgroup the same and BAMM- Instant network. I already had the Internet working on both so I was ahead. This little router is pretty slick. Thanks for the tips !
    "We have assumed control"