[RESOLVED] Change IP address on the fly?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Change IP address on the fly?

Hybrid View

mdzum

Resolved [RESOLVED] Change IP address on the fly?

Can anyone suggest a program to let me change my IP address on the fly without rebooting? I am using Win9x PCs and sometimes need to have a certain IP to access something but don't like to take the time to reboot all the time.

Thanks,

Mark

Yeah, it's called Windows. Seriously. Go to "run" or a DOS prompt, and type winipcfg . There's an option to renew an IP address for any network adapter in your computer...including the dial-up adapter.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

I do not think it is possible with Win9X although I know you can do it in Win2K without a problem.That is one of the new "features" of the new OS.

iamtheman

IN Windows 9x there is no real native way to do this, sure you can release and renew like NPaladin says but when it comes to switching from DHCP or a static IP address you need to reboot. Symantec makes mobile essentials for laptops to do this but it blows.

If you are doing this on a laptop when Windows asks you to reboot you can say no, then stop your PCMCIA card, pop it out and pop it back in. That works for IP address changes but not other networking changes, (like adding a client for netware).

Other than that go to Windows2000.

------------------
    Born to Network

mdzum

Unhappy

Thanks for all the answers guys. I guess I'll just have to keep rebooting! I realize I can release and renew an address ... however, I have certain devices (routers) you can only access to configure and manage if you have a specific address, so I can't just let DHCP pick an address.

iateyourcat

if you hold the left shift or control key down while your restarting windows won't do a full reboot it'll just restart windows..

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

If you are using DHCP, why not reserve the IP that you need for that workstation and map it to the stations MAC address?

That way, the station always gets allocated that IP.
    Or am I missing something?
    What does this button do?

mdzum

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cordon:
    If you are using DHCP, why not reserve the IP that you need for that workstation and map it to the stations MAC address?

That way, the station always gets allocated that IP.
    Or am I missing something?
    </font>
    That would work fine under most circumstances. However, sometimes I need to have one IP address within a certain range to be able to access the internet through our firewall. Then other times, I need to have another IP address to be able to telnet into a router to configure it. This is becasue we have restricted the ability to telnet into it from just certain addresses.

That is why I wanted to be able to change it on the fly. However it doesn't look like that is gonna be possible.

Thanks again for everyones' suggestions!

x_789

OK well the answer is if your using dhcp which i dont think you are because you never said that you are screwed well maybe. But since i think you aren't here is what to do. This does involve editing the registry on a 9x machine. DONT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR SKILLS ITS NOT THAT TRICKY YOU CAN JUST BLOW YOUR OS IF YOU DONT KNWO WHAT YOU ARE DOING. that said start run regedit enter. Now go to key ...HKLM\system\curentcontrolset\services\class\net rans\000* the astrict being difrent numbers from 0 on up. The nettrans folder holds all network configes in windows. By looking in each of these files in one you will see a key that has a item that simply says ip address and shows the ip to the left right click the string modify it and exit registry walla its changed. thats it. X