[RESOLVED] Netbui ?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Netbui ?

Jallentino

Post Netbui ?

I am networking two NT4.0 Workstations. I was wondering what anyones opinion was on the best protocol to use. I was going to use Netbui, but I just used TCP/IP and used assigned IP addresses. It seems to work OK, but I have heard Netbui would be faster and easier. Any thoughts ?

------------------
    "You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle dixie ?"

For small networks NetBeui is faster. It is also a higher level protocol allowing for better broadcasting. However it is a more active protocol than IP so don't use it with more than 20 PC's on the same network.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

morguth

netbeui is for small networks that you dont need any support for routing, or internet access for that matter... very easy to setup, very easy to admin , if you want net access...stick with tcp/ip

*mutters cause someone else responding while he was typing out his post!*
    ------------------
    Quote the madcow, 'Never Moo'

[This message has been edited by morguth (edited January 18, 2001).]

iateyourcat

don't run netbeui. if your going to share/use the internet with both machines use tcp/ip. multiple protocols slow your machine and most people wind up wanting to access the internet with both machines eventually.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

captpackrat

Lightbulb

There is one good reason for using NetBEUI along with TCP/IP. Since NetBEUI is non-routable, you can bind file and printer sharing to it, and unbind it from TCP/IP, and this will help increase your security. Be sure to unbind NetBIOS from TCP/IP as well.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

compaqman

NetBEUI is a much faster protocol then TCP/IP for smaller networks. Use it for your file/printer sharing and reserve TCP/IP for Internet access. NetBEUI will broad cast to the entire network at once though so once you start adding multiple boxes it can cause a lot of network traffic. Since NetBEUI is not routable you are limited to one subnet with it.

Also as a note, with the introduction of the Whistler OS, Microsoft is removing support for NetBEUI

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.

x_789

as Compaqman and other stated netbui is very fast on local area networks all you have to do is change binding on tcp/ip disable binding to file and print sharing this will make netbui do all local trafic between sets and you can use tcp/ip for internet this will also give some minimal added security on internet you dont want tcp/ip with file and printer sharing on the net. X