[RESOLVED] Is it possible to enable Interent Connection sharing w/ a Win2k system as the client?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is it possible to enable Interent Connection sharing w/ a Win2k system as the client?

ShadowOmega

Question Is it possible to enable Interent Connection sharing w/ a Win2k system as the client?

I know this sounds backwards than how most would do it but here's why. My main machine, which has my cable modem atached, resides in my room and has to run 98 cause I compose music on it and do not have WinWk drivers for one of my pro-audio soundcards. Because others like to use my system for the internet and I get tired of having strange things happen when I'm not around and having to troubleshoot them, I have set up another system in the living room for other household memebers to use. I have put Win2K on that system so that that I can administrate it easier. I've got both of them set up and networked and the talk to each other no problem. I want to be able to give the Win2k machine access to my cable modem on the Win98 machine. The Internet Connection Sharing method applet only works if the client machine is a Win 9x based system. How would I go about Getting the Win2K machine to see and use the cable modem connection? I don't want to put the modem on the other system cause if someone messes it up, I'm out on both systems. Any Ideas?

Mustang

not cheap but will work pretty well
    use a router and un cable modem to router and router to each machine

------------------
    Directions???? What are directions?????

iateyourcat

if ICS is configured properly on the 98 machine you can do two things a) setup the 2000 machine for dhcp and do nothing else or b) manually set your 2000 machine with any ip in the 192.168.0.2-254 range and a gateway of 192.168.0.1, configure dns to point to an external dns (more reliable) or the dns proxy on 192.168.0.1.

viola.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

ShadowOmega

Lightbulb

Nevermind, I've figured it out and got it working. I had to manually configure the client with a static IP and use the host machine as a gateway. I knew about the router option but that's not really an optimal solution for my home network as it is. Thanks for the tip, though.

ShadowOmega

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iateyourcat:
    if ICS is configured properly on the 98 machine you can do two things a) setup the 2000 machine for dhcp and do nothing else or b) manually set your 2000 machine with any ip in the 192.168.0.2-254 range and a gateway of 192.168.0.1, configure dns to point to an external dns (more reliable) or the dns proxy on 192.168.0.1.

viola.

</font>
    This is exactly what I did. I finally found a nice little article online that
    outlined how to set up ICS manually and I just noted the steps and converted them from 9X usage to Win2k.