[RESOLVED] Super slow transfer with new Linksys 10/100 Switch

Thread: [RESOLVED] Super slow transfer with new Linksys 10/100 Switch

Kpont

Question Super slow transfer with new Linksys 10/100 Switch

I just replaced a cheap Cnet hub with a new Linksys 10/100 Switch and after doing so transfer between the Win 98 machines on the 3 pc LAN are unbelievably slow and sometimes fail. A 3 meg file took about 15 min.

What's going on? Any ideas appreciated.

iateyourcat

manually set your NICs to 100Mb/s half duplex if they're capable of this. i've got a linksys switch and this seems to be the best setup for the switch.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

StevePorter

Question

Are one or more of your cables to the switch cross-over cables instead of straight-thru cables? That could be your trouble...

------------------
    You want the right answer?!? You must be asleep, 'cuz you're dreamin'...

SiCkNuT

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    Are one or more of your cables to the switch cross-over cables instead of straight-thru cables? That could be your trouble...
    </font>
    If this were the case there would be no connection at all let alone a slow one.

------------------
    [ i N S A N i T Y 2 0 0 1 ]

Kpont

No crossovers or anything. The lan was faster with the Cnet 10 mbps hub.

I did manually set the 10/100 NIC on the desktop. That broght things back to normal between that machine and a machine with a 10 mbps NIC. But the connection between those machines and a Compaq Presario notebook with internal 10/100 NIC is still terribly slow no matter what settings I chose for that NIC.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iateyourcat:
    manually set your NICs to 100Mb/s half duplex if they're capable of this. i've got a linksys switch and this seems to be the best setup for the switch.

</font>

what model linksys switch, i have 2 24 port dssx24 in my office running our office database as quick as it can run. there is always the obvious update your drivers, also try setting the nics to 100-full just incase ya missed that even though you said you tried everything. check the cables to make sure all 8 pins are good and that nothing is sitting on the cable, especially anything electronic. if you have extra cable go ahead and change it out if you haven't already. any 3com products? set their speed manually. can't think of anything else at the moment but keep fiddlin with it

------------------
    we are number one, all others are number two......or lower
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

iateyourcat

firmware?

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

lordnetwork

have you tried different cables? if there is a bad link, there could be a signal loss, but not a full signal loss.

also check and make sure your cables don't run near monitors, stereos, or electric lines. anything that can create electronic interference can, and will screw up your lines.

------------------
    Jason ([email protected])

Kpont

I've tried different cables, careful of interference, etc. The only machine that's giving me trouble now is the Compaq Presario notebook, a 14XL244 with a Conexant Combo - Ethernet 10/100 NIC. I've tried setting the connection type - using each one and testing several times.

Still no luck. I found an updated driver for the NIC on Compaqs site but thanks to their attempt to make things extremly simple it won't install on my system. So I don't know if that driver will solve my problem or not.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thirdfey:
    what model linksys switch, i have 2 24 port dssx24 in my office running our office database as quick as it can run. there is always the obvious update your drivers, also try setting the nics to 100-full just incase ya missed that even though you said you tried everything. check the cables to make sure all 8 pins are good and that nothing is sitting on the cable, especially anything electronic. if you have extra cable go ahead and change it out if you haven't already. any 3com products? set their speed manually. can't think of anything else at the moment but keep fiddlin with it

</font>

xtac

Can you see much collision? Also, if you have an extra machine, preferably a laptop, install a Sniffer on it and start Shniffin. If you send data from one machine to the second, put the sniffer closer to the Second machine (same side of the switch) and see if the packets are getting through. Do simple ping and tracert tests.

Also, do a simple tracert and see if you are getting long delays, or irregular delays from the switch or a particular machine. There is a reason for the change in your network; we just have to narrow it down.

By the way, I just bought a Linksys 5 port Switch. I am getting Full 100/mb duplex out of it no problem.

[This message has been edited by xtac (edited January 23, 2001).]

x_789

first problem liknsys. still its better than d-link take it back and get a netgear. Ok ok seriously. 1 Make sure you have cat 5 cables the biggest problem with network break downs are the cables. 2 forget this half duplex crap the hub should auto sense no matter what and the cards if they are 10/100 i would bet will do the same so they are testing communications with the hub and they probably are having cross talk on the cat 3 cables i am betting you are running. Worst case force full duplex at 100mbs and try pinging see what your replys are should be less than 10ms on lan if high pings i bet you got a cable problem but on 10mbs the cables dont break down. or you could have a bad cable end and at 100mbs your get end cross talk becuase pairs are unwound to much if they are not premade cables IE your cousin made them X

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited January 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited January 23, 2001).]

Kpont

The switch is a Linksys EhterFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch Model EZXS55W.

I've tried different Cat 5 cables none of which are home made and they are new. I've tried pinging from and to the slow NIC in the Compaq notebook and I'm getting 0ms consistently, yet file transfer is dog slow.

No collision. Tracert was 10ms across the board.

I'm still stumped.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xtac:
    Can you see much collision? Also, if you have an extra machine, preferably a laptop, install a Sniffer on it and start Shniffin. If you send data from one machine to the second, put the sniffer closer to the Second machine (same side of the switch) and see if the packets are getting through. Do simple ping and tracert tests.

Also, do a simple tracert and see if you are getting long delays, or irregular delays from the switch or a particular machine. There is a reason for the change in your network; we just have to narrow it down.

By the way, I just bought a Linksys 5 port Switch. I am getting Full 100/mb duplex out of it no problem.

[This message has been edited by xtac (edited January 23, 2001).]
    </font>

morguth

Question

not that it should matter much but...how many protocols do you have? just try using netbeui, remove all the other stuff and see if file transfer is slow then...

------------------
    Quote the madcow, 'Never Moo'