[RESOLVED] Internet connection problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Internet connection problem

jasons78

Angry Internet connection problem

My problem is, my internet connection is taking forever! I'm using IE5.5 and I have a 56k modem that connects to a local ISP at about 44k. The problem starts after I initially log on to my ISP and after I hit more than one or two links. IE then starts taking forever (sometimes 30 seconds or more) to connect any other links i hit after that. It doesn't matter if the links are on a different site or not. I know this problem is not with my ISP because I've tried it with my laptop and it works fine.
    Any help would be appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts.

iateyourcat

Lightbulb

i'd be willing to bet that your telephone line and/or modem sucks. my dad's cheap modem is like this. he connects at one speed and the line/modem can't handle that speed so the think keeps dropping into autonegotiation mode (a lovely benefit of x2/kflex) and he never gets any data. now, my moms modem, which runs on the same line, works great.

i think the ultimate problem is the way your isps modem and your modem interact. they dont like each other.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

jasons78

I forgot to mention before that logging off then back on again doesn't help, the only thing that helps is rebooting.

compaqman

Thumbs up

What kind of system/modem. I've seen this problem many times when using a winmodem with many ISP's. The way I typically solve it is to use an ISA modem with built in controller, or better yet, good old external serial modem. You know, serial, those 9pin ports in the back of your PC you thought you'd never use again?

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.