[RESOLVED] Networking Win2k with Win 98

Thread: [RESOLVED] Networking Win2k with Win 98

DanMan

Resolved [RESOLVED] Networking Win2k with Win 98

I have four Win2k machines and they are all networked, and I had no problem getting them networked. I added a Win 98 machine to the network, but it doesn't show up on the Win2k machines and vise versa. Have any suggestions, please help!!!!!

install netbeui on all the boxes and save yourself alot of headaches
    #3 1951-2001

StevePorter

Lightbulb

Yeah, make sure you install NetBEUI on all machines for handling your peer-to-peer networking activities. Also, make sure you've logged in the Win98 machine with a username and password, and that the corresponding username and password is included in your Users on each W2K machine. Remember to turn on printer and file sharing, and to give permissions (security) for the Win98 user (and all the other W2K users) on each W2K computer...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

DanMan

Question

I tried putting NetBeui on my Win2k machines and now the network is running fine except one Win2k machine crashes for no reason every time I open Network Neighborhood

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanMan:
    I tried putting NetBeui on my Win2k machines and now the network is running fine except one Win2k machine crashes for no reason every time I open Network Neighborhood </font>
    When you say crashes it locks and you cant even move mouse or it give bsod what does crashes constitue please give more info . X

condor

the original problem had NOTHING to do with the protocol !!!

you can use any protocol you want as long as you get your browser settings right - but make sure you use ONE protocol - it will speed up your network!

explanation:
    --------------
    to browse (see) computers in the network (workgroup or domain) you need to have a computer that saves the list of computers (a.k.a Master Browser) the way it works is that every computer is a potential browser as long as it running a server component (in win9x it's the file and printer sharing), the election process is pure broadcast (which is bad !) every computer tries to win the election process and become a master browser (I won't get into how) but the rule is the "strongest" O/S wins - the order is

Win2k Domain Controller (strongest)
    WinNT Primary Domain Controller
    WinNT Backup Domain Controller
    Win2k Member Server / Standalone server
    Winnt Member Server / Standalone server
    Win2k Pro
    Winnt ws
    WinMe
    Win98
    Win95 (weakest)
    ----------------------------------------

to get your network to work well in terms of master browsers you should assign one Master broswer and one backup browser and that's it !!! all the rest of the computer in your network should have the browser service disabled !!!

here how it's done:

to set up the Master browser (win2k/Winnt):
    go to regedit
    locate the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters

change the values to :
    IsDomainMaster "True"
    Maintain ServerList "Yes"

close regedit and reboot

To set up a backup browser:

go to regedit
    locate the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters

change the values to :
    IsDomainMaster "False"
    Maintain ServerList "Auto"

close regedit and reboot.

to disable Browser service in Win2k
    1. open control Panel and go to "administrative tools"
    2. select "services"
    3. select the "Computer Browser" service
    and stop it - put it on "disabled" startup type.
    4. reboot

to disable Browser service in Win9x
    open "network" properties and select the "file and print sharing" properties

change the value of
    Browse Master to "No"

close and reboot.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

DanMan

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    When you say crashes it locks and you cant even move mouse or it give bsod what does crashes constitue please give more info . X
    </font>
    After I installed NetBeui When I open Network neighborhood, Just that app. stops responding.