[RESOLVED] can a router connect to a network hub?

Thread: [RESOLVED] can a router connect to a network hub?

kamuelajedi

Question can a router connect to a network hub?

The guys and I plan to have a council at my partners house who has road runner. We all have network cards, and he has a hub, but only 8 ports on it and there will be 9-10 of us there with our systems...wondering if we should use a router to the hub, or just go get another hub.. Any suggestions???

------------------
    Theres' a differance between scratching your *** and tearing a hole in it :-)

x_789

you can do it either way. If you run to 100mbs hubs uplinked as long as they are 100mbs they will still transfere inbetween at 100mbs if you run more than 2 upplinked they act as class b repeaters and the speed will drop to 10mbs between the hubs. If dosent help tell me and I will explain any other questions. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

captpackrat

Lightbulb

You might want to consider switches instead of hubs, especially if you will be using File & Printer Sharing. A switch will allow you to use Full Duplex (more or less giving you 200 Mbps), and will seperate traffic between different machines. They also break most packet sniffers, since they filter out everything not intended for a particular machine.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Cable Modem Tech

hook the road runner to a router and link a switch to that ( a 4 port router with 4 8 port switches will let everyone on the street plug in..

------------------
    They get mad when they come to raid my pad and i'm out in the nine duece cad.

jc0033

cable modem tech is right,the router is the way to go. using just hubs, theres no way your goin go pull enough ip's for everyone. the beauty of using a router (linksys is a good one) is you'll only be pulling 1 ip from the outside, and your router can be a dhcp server and distribute up to 254 internal addresses.

Go with the LinkSYS router they have router that will assign IP adresses for your network.
    Cable Modem to Router
    Router to up link port on your Hub.
    Install TCP/IP use automatic ip adress for IP.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Master Tech
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

iateyourcat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cable Modem Tech:
    hook the road runner to a router and link a switch to that ( a 4 port router with 4 8 port switches will let everyone on the street plug in..

</font>
    Ya, and i want my drop running to the switch

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

I use a linksys 1 port router linked to a 8 port 10/100 hub. I use the linksys as my dhcp server and it works just fine that way.

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

x_789

Well I just talked to RoadRunner when they were setting up their service in a site I provide service for and their modems acatually grab and ip for security and they have to change ip every ten days for securty so they said the only router you can run on their service is a cisco with the ios that can support this. So they install a br904 and I configured it acordingly. Has anyone here actually got a linksys or some other cheapo router working on RR's Service? X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kamuelajedi:
    The guys and I plan to have a council at my partners house who has road runner. We all have network cards, and he has a hub, but only 8 ports on it and there will be 9-10 of us there with our systems...wondering if we should use a router to the hub, or just go get another hub.. Any suggestions???

</font>
    Definitely use a router...make sure it supports assigning DHCP addresses though (Amazing that those little dinky cheapo routers can do something that a Cisco can't, isn't it?). A 4 or 5 port should be sufficient. If you insist on using a hub make sure it's a 100 Fast Ethernet hub. I personally would prefer to just use a router with as many ports on it as possible...they make 5 port broadband routers, and the ports are sometimes switched (meaning everyone gets full LAN bandwidth)

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

A linksys router can grap an ip from another server if they are using dhcp and I think bootp but not too sure.

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

There is no reason that you cannot use a linksys router with roadrunner - every DHCP server refreshes the lease after a specified ammount of time - I use proxy server at home with Road Runner and it works great to run many machines through one IP address. I know several others who use the linksys and have no problems.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

x_789

Well I dealt with a location in TX two weeks ago and I talked to RRs tech support to have him telent in and turn off dhcp so that I could set this network up I asked him specifically about why i couldnt use a lowend router "NETGERAR" wouldnt use linksys for a doorstop. Anyway he said that the modem pulls and Ip every 10 days and that by this they have to have specific a router for some sucurity bs bla bla bla well it didnt sound right to me either but i let them hit this lady for the $700 for a br904. Well I just called this guy back cause i wanted a better explination. Well he wasnt there but I got someone that actually knew what he was talking about now. He told me that the modem i forgot the brand anyway it pulls an IP makes sense then it grabs another and forwards it to the set or router what ever is behind the modem now I understand what was up with RR. Needless to say RR has the worst support site for trying to find info on, when needing to find something out. So I appologize for my incorrect post about not being able to use cheap routers on their service. Thanks ...cyberhh.... for making me question this and looking into it deeper. I never thoght it made sense but this lady had been getting screwed around by them for 3 days so I wanted to do anything to get her up as quick as possible. X

------------------