[RESOLVED] Netgear RT314 Home Gateway Router (4 port 10/100 switch built in)

Thread: [RESOLVED] Netgear RT314 Home Gateway Router (4 port 10/100 switch built in)

Cyberwiz

Question Netgear RT314 Home Gateway Router (4 port 10/100 switch built in)

I am thinking about getting DSL in my area and I was also thinking about getting the Netgear RT314 Home Gateway Router with the built in 4 port 10/100 switch to provide the firewall, internet sharing, and DHCP services to my home network.

I have only a few reviews on the Netgear RT314 and I was wondering if anyone else has one and what their experience has been with them. Due to the $200 price tag on the RT314 I want to be sure there are no unexpected problems. It also has built in 32 client DHCP server and basic firewall protection.

http://www.netgear.com/product_view....&yrp=12&zrp=55

I have looked at the D-Link Home Gateway Router but it does not impress me much.

Thanks!

MacGyver

Lightbulb

Try this site:

http://sympaticousers.org/cgi-bin/ub...i?action=intro

and search for "netgear"

It also may be helpful to get input from fellow users of the DSL provider you plan to use, they may have strange setups, but as long as they're using PPPOE, the info on the above site will be applicable to you.

iateyourcat

i bought the linksys router before there were many out. it works great and even though i don't use it as a router anymore it's still worlds faster as a switch than a hub would be... fyi

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

Mustang

I have the netgear rt314 router.
    Personally i think its a decent unit for the money.
    Easy to configure and maintain.

------------------
    Directions???? What are directions?????

captpackrat

I've got one, and it's better than any of the others I've tried. But mine seems to be rather unstable. It just freezes up randomly, requiring me to cycle power on it.

Looks like there is a new firmware for it, so maybe I'll try that tonight....

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

computerpro

Personally, I'd save about $60-$80 and get the Linksys BFSR41 Router 10/100 Switch for about $130.
    I've used almost 20 of these in a variety of homes and small offices and never had a problem.
    Almost identical specifications, cheaper price, reliable service and regular firmware upgrades.
    Just my 2 cents....you may want to take a look at them before you buy.

x_789

Thumbs up

Well i am a firm Netgear user and have installed many diffrent netgear components over the past few years thats all i run personally or "3com" I highly recomend their products and the one you speak of. The one thing i dont care for about netgear is their touting of their 24x7 tech support those people are idiots. Still they are owned by Bay Networks and that speaks for itself. All this said i would defiantly recomend this product. If you want to save some money then go d-link even though i am not a fan but linksys is the bottom of the barrel in my experiencedont buy linksys unless you want to post alot of stuff here. I do a lot of work with people running my product over dsl or cable with multiple sets having to hit the internet and linksys is my most dreaded call. X

Sparky625

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    ...Netgear...thats all i run personally or "3com"...but linksys is the bottom of the barrel in my experience...</font>
    I may be mistaken, but I thought the LinkSys boxes were filled with 3Com flavor crystals and were, in essence, the same.

Either way, all of the above mentioned items are fairly decent, in my humble estimation. The D-Link is cheaper, and the Netgear does come in a metal case, so it's really up to you. Happy shopping!

------------------
    Thank you for calling the support desk! How may I disconnect you today?

Have used both, and personally I do perfer the Linsys unit just because of the admin interface. With the linksys it is all browser based while the netgear requires a rs-232 and a terminal program to really get in to the settings of the device. Although it is a lower level of control and does have some features that you do not find on the linksys unit. But one feature that the linksys routers do have with the newer firmware is the ability to assign a mac address to the router which can save some time depending on your broadband provider in that when the broadband modem is linked to the old card's mac address it is able to get an ip address from the modem in minutes instead of an hour or more it can take sometimes. Also the linksys has been around longer and does seems to have more mature firmware.

Has anyone had a chance to use the new linksys router with an 8 port switch and QOS?

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sparky625:
    I may be mistaken, but I thought the LinkSys boxes were filled with 3Com flavor crystals and were, in essence, the same.

</font>
    I may be mistaken but I thought PAGERS had crystals and Switchs had microchips? but maybe its just me. X

Mustang

The rt314 netgear router has a browser based interface for setting up the system

------------------
    "May the force be with you ." Obi-Wan Kenobi