[RESOLVED] Cabling Issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] Cabling Issue

mowen

Resolved [RESOLVED] Cabling Issue

I have run across a little problem and was wondering if anyone had info for me. I know what the problem and solution are I just need some distancing or shielding info.

I have 2 star LANs and an uplink between them. The problem is the cable for the uplink between the 2 hubs is running parallel to a 220-power line.

What I need to know is how far away from 220 to run the cable or if anyone knows what kind of piping would be good to use for best shielding standards.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The building's power installation must comply with IEC 364 or equivalent local code. LAN cable runs should not coincide with the path of lightning conductors, and they should preferably be insulated from the outside surfaces of buildings, especially roofing. The cable also should not run down elevator shafts or located near electrical transformers, etc. due to ElectroMagnetic Interference.

Assuming that you are using ThinLan cables, they already should have a good shielding inside the cable. Otherwise, I guess that you could use regular metal conduit, run your LAN cable through it and attach that conduit to a known-good ground to eliminate or reduce the chance of EMI.

If you're looking for specific distances, that all depends on the particular application...220 volts by itself is not necesarrily a problem, it's the current running through that power line that develops EMI, etc.

Hope this helps you out somewhat...Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!

[This message has been edited by DonJ (edited February 06, 2001).]
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

x_789

OK here is what the ANSI EIA/TIA wiring standards say..to protect from emi/rfi
    electric supply "Bare Light or Power of any Voltage-5 Feet" ..."Open Wiring not over 300 VOLTS 2inchs" ...."wires in conduit, or in armored on non-metalic sheath cable/power ground wires-none" ...."Floresscent lighting wire 5 inches" ... Note it also says there is no seperation required from shielded and grounded ... Hope that helps X