[RESOLVED] please select the operating system to start(2k server)

Thread: [RESOLVED] please select the operating system to start(2k server)

happy

Unhappy please select the operating system to start(2k server)

After install 2k advanced server, it will come up: Please select the operating system to start:
    1 win 2000 advance server
    2 win 2000 advance server
    both are same things.
    How can I get this?
    How can I del. one?
    why all my pci device such as NIC,Modem,Sound
    all at IRQ9, even I changed in motherboard pci slot IRQ setting.
    But they all work fine why?
    Thank You

xtac

Are there two Winnt directories anywhere? It sounds like an OS was installed over another OS.

W2k is supposedly really good at sharing irq's, this is not unusual.

If you want a clean install, and you do not have any important info on the machine yet, I might suggest to fdisk all drives and do a clean install.

------------------
    http://www.mymcginley.com

You need to edit the boot.ini file to get rid of the second option of the same thing. I don't have 2k on my box anymore so I can't put up an example but the boot.ini is located in the c:\ or first boot partiton. Everything is sharing the same IRQ because of ACPI which dynamically allocates IRQ's to the hardware. As the hardware requires more resources win2k hands it some more resources

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

GSD4ME

Hi there. Below is a copy of my boot.ini. Win2000 Advanced Server (my default OS) is on my second partition and W2KPro is on partition one. Find out which entry listed under Operating Systems you can get rid of and just delete it (making sure it's really the one you want to delete). If you only have Advanced Server on your box and don't want to bother messing with this file, go into Startup and Recovery (My computer, properties, advanced tab) and set the default OS to what you want and set the time to display operating systems to 0 (zero)

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Hope this helps.

J.

[This message has been edited by GSD4ME (edited March 01, 2001).]

xtac

Yes, you can definitely edit the boot.ini
    If there is a second OS, or another attempted OS install you will want to remove that directory to free up some space.

------------------
    http://www.mymcginley.com

Right click on [MY COMPUTER] scroll to [PROPERTIES] click the [ADVANCE] tab click on [STARTUP AND RECOVERY] what is under [SYSTEM STARTUP] ?

you may be able to adjust it here!

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]