[RESOLVED] ISA or PCI nics?

Thread: [RESOLVED] ISA or PCI nics?

naka-pako

Post ISA or PCI nics?

Would someone care to list advantages or disadvantages between ISA and PCI nics?

Most ISA Nics are not recognized in Windows 98, because it will not easily release the IRQ it is set up for. (Usally 3, which is used for COM2 or 5, which is used for sound cards.
    A PCI card is easier to install because it will go to a higher IRQ like 10,11.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

x_789

Isa is 8 bit and pci is 32 bit so its got a bigger pipe to use not to mention what eagal said above. pnp is a little harder with isa If you got a pci slot Then always go pci with anything. X

MacGyver

Cool

An ISA card can slow down your computer overall since it is forced to use the slow ISA bus (8 MHz I think) and your processor runs at how many hundred MHz????

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

I just (10 mins ago) removed an ISA 3com card from a machine that was being used as a connecter for a cable modem. It would not properly grab an interrupt from the Aptiva's BIOS. Replacing it with a PCI card, which is actually capable of sharing an interrupt with some other PCI devices solved the problem immediately. PCI all the way.

*Dan*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

ShadowWynd

You won't see much difference on a 10base network. However, due to the data transfer speeds of the ISA port, you can get only a quarter of the speed on a 100base network with an ISA card, whereas you can get the full 100 (theoretically) with a PCI.

For instance, an ISA card might be fine if you have an old slow computer on the network, but don't put one in the server.

condor

it's a mettar of quality, performance and stability.

The best card out there are the 3Com 905B-TX(nm), The 3Com 905C and the Intel Pro 100+

all of those are PCI, Bus master, low latency, high efficancy cards.

and are complient with all Microjunk's HCL.

get one any those and your NIC related problems are gone.

but you can always not listen to my advise and buy some cheap, junk level ISA or PCI card, just don't come back to complain when you can't get them to work in full duplex or when you connect them to your hub and they don't work or when you install the driver and get a BSOD.

in my previous work they had 3com 509b, 590 , 900, 905b, AMD PCnet, SMC etc..
    after a while all the cards were replaced to either 3com 905b/905c or Intel pro 100+ /100 VE - cut down the NIC related problems by more than 80%.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

Exclamation

Also a good point is that ISA is Slowly Disappearing from MainBoards (Take a look @ Asus A7V for Example...)

So Don't buy a card that Eventually in the range of 2 years u will have to replace it.

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

iccrmman

If you have a newer machine go with PCI.
    I have an old P133 that would not run with a 3com 3c905 in it. Put in a Netgear ISA 10 base card, works beutifully(that machine is also running win98se).

------------------
    When in doubt, use a bigger sledgehammer

ISA - 8mhz bus
    PCI - 132mhz

ISA - No Bus mastering built in
    PCI - bus mastering

ISA - flaky PnP
    PCI - MS compat PnP

ISA - bus limited inefficient 100bT Full Duplex
    PCI - Full Duplex 100bT no problem

PCI all the way!!!

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

MAC

Cyber, I like the way you make a point. No use for ISA anymore. Unless absolutely necessary.

kennethstarrfp

PCI GODDAMNIT, IT'S A MUCH CLEANER BAY!!! I have a AWE32 ISA and it SUCKS.

------------------
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

condor - agree 100%

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]