[RESOLVED] Networking Win2K Pro and NT4

Thread: [RESOLVED] Networking Win2K Pro and NT4

Hybrid View

QSECOFR

Post Networking Win2K Pro and NT4

I have Win2K tower, and a NT4 Laptop. I am trying to network them w/o a server(I don't have an ISA NIC or I would make a 486 PDC). I can't ping either one. The hub, cables, and cards are brand new. Any ideas?

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...then the day would go much faster!

StevePorter

Lightbulb

Instead of using TCP/IP as your network protocol, install NetBEUI...it's nearly foolproof. Also, is it safe to assume that you've created new users with the correct passwords on each computer? Have you shared your drives? Have you installed the "File and Printer Sharing" service on both computers? Have you set permissions for each respective user under Security? OK, my brain is full now...I'm going home...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

QSECOFR

I tried using NetBEUI, and it didn't work. The User accounts both have the same password, same security on each machine, and both have File and Print Sharing.

Maybe, I'd just be better off getting a Pentium and making an NT network with a PDC.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by QSECOFR (edited February 09, 2001).]

tquillin

Can you ping local host 127.0.0.1? If yes, I would check the cables.

QSECOFR

Cables are brand new. Just bought them. The hub and NICs are brand new, too.

------------------

cheras

Assuming that you know how to setup the Win2K with a NT4 client, it should work fine. Sure you got the right kind of cable..?

------------------
    No matter what,
    No matter where,
    If broadband connection is there,
    It's always HOME.

BIGGS

do you have both computers running with the same network name, or workgroup?

Talking

If you are running TCP/IP try giving each machine its own address, then try pinging each machine, if you still can't ping then it looks like a hardware problem

------------------
    I'm on the right track but the wrong train...or is it the right train but wrong track ?
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

rwbad

Lightbulb

Reading the other posts regarding changing from TCP/IP. It is easier to troublehoot with TCP/IP and you were on the right track on establishing that ping didn't work 1st.
    I assume you are using 10BaseT cables and hub?

1. Check the hub port light, it should be on for both connections.
    2. If light not on check cable. (should be straight through for PC to hub)
    If 10/100 hub you can get problems with older LAN cards not getting the speed right and can be worth turning off auto negotiation.
    2. Ensure one of computers is not connected into an uplink port (seen it too many times)
    3. As in previous posts ping local loopback address. (A reply shows IP running)
    4. Double check IP addresses, both use same subnet mask, both on same network.
    5. If you do suspect the hub / cabling try using a x-over cable directly between laptop and server.

Wiring: 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 6-2

Sorry if any of this is basic stuff for you but most problems of this type can be found with the steps above.

iamtheman

rwbad, is on the money.

I find troubleshooting with TCP/IP much easier than any of the other "bloat" protocols. If you can't ping on a localized segment, it can really only be a few things. Follow rwbad's post and you should be able to figure it out.

------------------
    Born to Network

first make sure that if you are hooking them up directly to another (no hub or other such device) you are using a cross over cable.

the you can set up your tcp/ip

machine 1 IP:

IP 192.168.0.1
    subnet 255.255.255.252
    Default GW the other machine's IP (used with ICS or internet routing)

Machine 2 IP:

IP 192.168.0.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.252
    Default GW (if this machine is ICS or internet routing - leave this blank, otherwise set it to the other machine)

also - set your administrator password to be the same on both pcs - this way you can log into either machine and view the admin shares (\\servername\c$...)
    if that works - then thier talking, and just need to create a user account (if needed)

Always check the hardware link lights on the machines NIC and on the HUB first - change ports on the HUB, make sure you have the correct subnet mask and ip addresses set up - keep in mind that if this is not setup correctly you will not be able to see the other machine with tcp/ip (ping, finger, trace route, any tcp/ip utility).

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

El Oso

I agree with testing with TCP/IP, NetBUI chats to much. One thing is try Ping on 127.0.0.1 or if you have the IP address assigned to the NIC ping it. This will verify a good working card, then try Ping Loopback for Protocol binding.

n8dawg

maybe this might help but if you are going pc to pc u need a cross over cable everything is pointing to the hardware if u ping your self get a responce that side is good move to other computer ping that pc get responce good... cant ping other pc i would think something wrong in between check cables and make sure its a crossover cable