[RESOLVED] It almost works correctly....

Thread: [RESOLVED] It almost works correctly....

Kernal Smithie

Question It almost works correctly....

Working on a laptop running win98 2nd edition, that exists on a large NT based TCP/IP network. It all used to work ok, until recently.

The laptop now logs onto the network, can ping, get mail, browse the web, see a computer if you type it's address. Example: if I type in the "run" prompt - \\(computername) I can then see all the shared recources on that PC.

However, if I try to browse to a PC through network neighborhood, it says "un-able to browse the network".

A bit unusual, but I am currently at a loss for a solution. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

------------------
    Smithie
    ------------------
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

1. Have you got any other protocols other than TCP/IP installed on the laptop.

2. Is the WORKGROUP name the same as the DOMAIN name.

Martin

------------------
    [email protected]
    <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

Kernal Smithie

1. The only protocol existing on the entire network, including the laptop, is TCP/IP.

2. The workgroup name is different to the domain name, but it use to work like this, and 5-6 others PC's still do work like this.

------------------
    Smithie
    ------------------
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

evilcabbage

Did one of our esteemed 'sales' staff touch it?... that usually screws things

------------------
    Its like shooting fish in a barrel, in the head, at point blank range, with an elephant gun.

x_789

do you have file and print sharing installed? X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

iamtheman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kernal Smithie:
    1. The only protocol existing on the entire network, including the laptop, is TCP/IP.

2. The workgroup name is different to the domain name, but it use to work like this, and 5-6 others PC's still do work like this.

</font>
    1. Do you have WINS running on the network?

2. To the best of my knowledge Win9x clients need to have the workgroup match the domain in order to browse the DOMAIN correctly. I'm not entirely sure how its working on other machines that have different workgroup and domain names.

------------------
    Born to Network

condor

Lightbulb

1. change the workgroup name to the domain name .

2. make sure WINS is configured properly..

3. you are connected with a NIC ( it's not dial in ) right ?

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...