[RESOLVED] problems with my home network and win2k

Thread: [RESOLVED] problems with my home network and win2k

PEZ_B0y

Resolved [RESOLVED] problems with my home network and win2k

ok I just 2 days ago converted to win2k(fresh install) with the fat32 file system. But whenever I goto "My Network Places" and then "Computers By Me" or whatever its called, or "entire network" then "workgroup" then the only other computer on my network which is a win98 machine named 2530. The win2k box sees it but when I click on it to open it up and get files and stuff it lags for like a whole minute, and theres no little blinking lights telling me theres a connection so basically noththing is happening, then its shows everything thats shared. The things I have shared are the whole harddrive with read and write and the cdrom and the printers. I'm not at home now so I don't can't double check this but I think that when I'm on the win98 machine and trying to conect to the win2k is sees it and everything but then when I try to get into it it asks for a password so I guess I actually have two problems. I tried entering the password for my admin and for one of the users I made but it doesn't work, how do I know what the password for my own box is? I am useing netBEUI on both systems and TCP/IP and on the win98 box netBEUI is set to defualt. Oh and how do you set a default protocol on win2k or do you need to? ok well thats about it wait no its not I was just wondering if win2k had the quickview function available and how to install it.

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit
    This is why they call me PEZ_B0y

condor

well I help with the 2nd problem - as to the first I've ssen it happen on many Win2k trying to acceess shares on Win98/ME.
    I think it has something to do with the way netbios calls work in 9x and ME comparing to Win2k.

not to the password problem.

You see, in a peer-to-peer network configuration (no domain) the security scheme is known as Share level security.

Win98 can work either in User level security (with domain) or Share level but WinNT and Win2k work only in User level security.

In order to access the shares on the Win2k machine you must enable the Guset account.

to do that:
    1. r.click "my computer" and select Manage
    2. go to local users and groups - users
    3. enable the Guest Account ( you can give it a password..)
    4. to each share you need to add the guest user with the permissions you want.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

PEZ_B0y

Wink

gotcha but is that all i have to do or do I have to tell it each computer I want to be able to access or will it let everyone in the network?

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit

SuBz

For our LAN in order for other computers to access a Win2k workstation over a network we had to do these things:

1. Enable the guest account
    2. Set a blank (no) password

Then in your network share permissions if you just set permissions for 'Everyone' it will apply to the entire network.

Alternativly, you can make an account for each computer on the network and have the passwords for the Win9x login be the same for the Win2k machine. This will allow you to set custom permissions depending on the computer/user.

PEZ_B0y

Wink

How do I get to the network share permissions?

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit

PEZ_B0y

Angry

hahahahha yesssssssssssss I figured it out on my own thanks for your help though. I think it was a problem with the wins setting in tcp/ip

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit

[This message has been edited by PEZ_B0y (edited February 10, 2001).]