'Lo all, I've got a question that hopefully someone can give me some pointers about. I've got a client who's using a proprietary software called M.Y.O.B (Mind Your Own Business, kinda cute name, huh?) that they use across a LAN. Pretty standard set up for a small business, two workstations and a file server, all running NT 4 with Service Pack 3 (the server is running NT Server Edition). The problem is that I convinced her to swap out her old 1 GB tape back up for a CDRW drive for her back ups. It wasn't a hard set up and the backup "program" is just a batch file that I set up to copy her database file across the network to the CDRW drive. It works with no problems, copies the file with no errors and the backed-up file is an exact copy of the original, down to the last byte and all attributes (archived is the only attribute on both files).

Now the problem. When you try to use the backed up file you get an error message that the software tech support for M.Y.O.B. tells me means that the file is corrupt. We've tried pulling the file off of the CD and putting it onto any workstation, no effect, I've tried defragging the file before and after it was burnt to the CD, no effect. Then the kicker was when I copied the file straight across the network without going to the CD and it STILL corrupted.

She's got a 10/100 LAN and all other network functions work flawlessly, M.Y.O.B. tech support is no help at this point, they tell me that they've never seen this problem before and they have no idea what to do. The client is a very nice lady running a little Mom 'n Pop store and she's got NO backup of any of her data (it's a 130 MB file so it won't go onto floppy and it'd be something like 3,000 files of hardcopy). If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.