I'm looking for a program that will let me do some serious snooping on my network. I have about 350 machines (all running win9x). I work in a school, and we're running into tons of problems with kids working around security and browsing the network, and msging and stuff. I need some kind of program that will let me look at any one machine on my network and see what other machines they are connected to, how much bandwidth they're using on each machine, who's logged into that machine, machine names, and all that junk. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a million!
Depends how much you are willing to pay.
Try the AV sites, the major players all have programmes which will log and monitor network activity.
You might like to look at www.winfiles.com as they have details of shareware
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and whenever working with Win 9x machines, be prepared for less options. 9x is inherently bad to secure. NT is a lot better. You can see shares and users from a NT station.
1. Eanble system policies using the network and requiring a successful login
2. Disable the F5 and F8 menu options (edit msdos.sys and change the "BootMulti=1" to 0
3. Disable floppy boot and password protect the BIOS
4. Install VNC on the machines (this will allow you to view and even control the desktop workstations.
5. Install a firewall that requires authentication
6. Get a good sniffer program - BIG BUCKS.
7. Other than what is listed above you are entering into a major investment in software and would be a bit foolish to not impliment these precautions first as with the exception of the sniffer, they are all free suggestions.
I hope all this helps.
Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
We already have a security program in place (fortres 101 and central control), the problem is that if I lock the systems down too tight, then the kids can't do what they need to do. There are a few select holes that I can't close cause it would impede the student's ability to work. What I really want is the sniffer program I guess.