[RESOLVED] File Server Advice?

Thread: [RESOLVED] File Server Advice?

Flyte

Question File Server Advice?

Right....first post of the forums so better make it quite interesting!

Basically I have a v.small office running 7 machines on Windows 98 - all networked together but basically each one works independantly, email downloaded via shared connection and file sharing when needed.

However, I now have obtained a spare machine which I was thinking of setting up as a dedicated file server and possibly as a server for email. The thought of setting up user accounts was also an idea but not really essential.

So how would be the best way to do this? I was thinking either NT or 2000 and maybe Eudora as a mail server - we are currently each using Outlook 2000, but I have been advised that an Exchange server is expensive (and not too stable!)

Any advice would be a great help, especially if anyone has had the same problem!

Cheers

Flyte

jrd

Cool

First of all, in reponse to the file server issue... Unless you have had a lot of experience with Win2k, I would suggest sticking with NT4. In fact, for the simply sharing files, workstation might do the trick (and save you a few hundred bone). If you want to have a system using seperate user ids etc. I would suggest a simple NT4 server functioning as a PDC in a domain. You can then authenticate all of your win98 users on that PDC and centralize the passwords etc. Please keep in mind, though, that even setting up a simple NT domain can be impossible for those with no experience on the NT platform. If may be wise to seek the help of a consultant. Also, if you set up a machine, look into purchasing a DAT drive and UPS and start storing all of your user's data on this server. These two fairly inexpensive additions could be a godsend later.

On the e-mail issue, your NT server could function as an e-mail server using a service called "EMWACS". It is no longer supported by the original people.. some university.. but a few minutes of searching should find you a copy. With EMWACS your NT users can have a POP3 mailbox (point your Outlook client to the servers address). And since it uses the NT SAM for authentication, the users passwords will be the same as their logon names. Hope this helps!!!

If you need any hands on assistance setting up a domain, give me a shout.

At the moment, I contract for Fuse bars.
    What does this button do?

You will need to check your software requirements, however you should be able to use Windows NT Workstation to function as a file server/email server (if your email server allows it).

Important- Use a tape backup with good software that has clients for you desktop OS'es, that way you can set the backup to back up their local machines as well - saving ALL data.

For a small office of <10 users I would not reccommend a commercial email program that is more than $250.00 there are several email servers that offer most any feature that a small office needs, for between $100-250, check download.com and tucows.com for email servers, look at them, try them out and see which one you like.

Also using NT workstation as your server limits you to ten users at one time, however is very simple to set-up and you do not have to worry about domain settings - you also cannot create a domain with workstation - workgroup only.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

equivox

You should probably setup a standalone NT server 4 to centralize user accounts and act as a file server. Any PC (ok, any PII or higher, with at least 64MB RAM) can be turned into a server. The only quirk would be hard drive space...Whatever solution you choose, make sure that you mirror file serving drives...

The best scenario would be to purchase an external solution that could be used in any pci based machine...This starts with a PCI SCSI card, two external SCSI hard drives, and an external DAT drive...By mirroring the drives, and adhering to a good daily/weekly backup plan, you can ensure you have the fault tolerance to keep your business up and running...

If you are in the NYC area, I could consult on setting this up...

Just as a note: I run Windows 2000 AS on a Dual PPro 200 with no problems and it runs as fast as a dual P-2 450 machine. THe secret to a happy NT server is in lots and lots of ram and good healthy hardware.

If you are going to use NT/2000 you need to invest in tons of ram - also an email server consumes ram like mad, so put more than you think you will ever need, then add some more.

Also DO NOT FORGET A BACKUP SOLUTION: more time, money and data has been lost because someone got cheap and didn't go the extra money, or mile and be safe.

There is no reason that NT4 Workstation/Server or 2000 Pro/Server will not work for you and do everything that you need (including allow you to run an Email server) you do need to know that Exchange does require a Domain to install, however as you will not be using Exchange, this should not be an issue.

I would also consider going to nonags.com, tucows.com or download.com and trying out a few different shareware/demo email servers to find one that fits into your budget, gives you the features you desire and the performance/ease of use is a nice match before investing a lot of money into an expensive solution for a few users when this sounds like an extra project outside the budget anyhow.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Mail Server??
    I highly recommend FTGAte, downloadable from their site .co.uk Simple to install, simple to configure, picks up our mail from ISP, distributes, logs, has some quite advanced features if you get into it, and you buy mail box licences, so you only get as many as you need.
    Mail me direct if you want more info - I don't re-sell!!!
    Good luck

3fingersalute

This is not relavent to the need for a mail server, but for a File Server as your topic suggests, I think a Linux server running SAMBA is as stable as you can get for the $$!

Our MP3 fileserver at work runs a chopped up version of RedHat 5.2 and currently has an uptime of over 200 days!