Can't seem to get NIC to work..

Thread: Can't seem to get NIC to work..

Hybrid View

Question Can't seem to get NIC to work..

Problem:<blockquote>The network card seems to work, but I can not access the network.</blockquote>
    Situation:<blockquote>I have been trying to use an ISA network card (Magitronic 10BT model I-E16-COMBO-5) in a 486DX/33 with 16MB RAM running Win95 rev.A. Windows detects it as "Novell/Anthem: NE2000 Compatible". The card has a setup utility that allows the user to select the connection type (UTP or BNC), IRQ, and Memory Range. I have set it to the appropriate settings and there are no IRQ or Memory conflicts in the BIOS or in Windows. I have the installed protocols: TCP/IP and Netbeui. I do have the IP set in the TCP/IP settings. This computer's name is "desk" and the workgroup is "testing". "Desk" does not exist elsewhere on the network. While connected to the network hub, the activity light on the card flashes as it should. I have tested the network cable. The other computers on the network have the exact same network/protocol configuration. I have successfully installed this exact same model of NIC in a 486SX/33 with 8MB RAM also with Win95 rev.A and the same NE2000 driver. It seems that from another (and possibly all) computer on the network I was able to see that the workgroup "testing" exists, but am unable to browse it, with an error message of "Unable to browse workgroup testing" (or similar). I am unable to even see that the computer "desk" exists. When I ping the IP address assigned to "desk" I get "Request Timed Out". "Desk" is unable to ping other IPs on the network. The IP address and netmask for "desk" is set appropriately. I have tried removing all protocols, etc and reinstalling, but still no luck.. I even tried an identical NIC.. no luck at all.</blockquote>

any ideas?

From the equipement you use - it seems to me, thet you got this for free... I have had a lot of those NE2000_compatible_and_lying_around_for_free_networ k_cards seen but in fact that was never really satisfying (as you never know what are the real drivers needed).
    In your case I search 10 minutes around the web and found a site which possibly has an appropriate driver for you - but if not: try a new card for 10$ (but only if Win95 is supported - that's the second problem)

So here is the link: http://amazoneinformatique.computera...16-COMBOPNP-1/
    perhaps it's something useful

Higg

I have already tried the 'real' drivers for this network card, but it had the same ill functionality. The driver you have listed is for a different model of card.. and this card is absolutely not PNP.

Question

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Angry

Hi

That Nic had ever work on another system?

I will sugest to buy a need NIC, i think that a great one for that system will be a 3com Etherlink III Isa. Also try to use the real driver for this card not the generic, and change the card from the ISA slot

Try to upgrade the Windows version to windows 95 b and upgrade Winsock2

Bye, i hope i can help

Merlin

make sure you are logged on to the system. one time i pulled my hair out on a situation like this one, and then when I click on Start, I saw "Log off...", denoting there was no user logged in.

Log off, and log back in. See if that helps.

tk

Double check to ensure you have a hard drive shares set up on the computers on the workgroup.

Open "My Computer" and look to see if the "C:" drive is shared. Then check the rest of the computers on the workgroup for the same thing.

It's possible to have the Nic's, Protocal's, and Identification's all set up correctly and still not function.
    Basically there is nothing for the network if there are no shared resources.

Why don't you focus on one thing at time.
    You said that you tested the cable, and that your link lights work. Good.

You said that you checked all your TCP/IP settings and it still doesn't work. From that machine try pinging 127.0.0.1. That is a simple loop back test you can try. If that fails then you know that TCP/IP isn't bound correctly. If you can ping that, then try and ping your local address from that machine, and then a gateway or if you don't have a gateway then another machine. You need to narrow down the possibilities. Don't forget to look in device manager and see if there is another network card installed or even detected. Run the Service Pack for Win95, and look this problem up on Microsoft's sight, they have several articles that deal with similiar situations.
    I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.
    Drederick Tatum
    Simpsons