Citrix

Thread: Citrix

Post Citrix

Next week my company is sending me to citrix school to be a CCA. I was wondering how many people actually use citrix because I have never run into anybody that has ever used it. I'm not paying for it so it doesn't matter if people use it or not but I was just curious.
    To each his/her own.

A previous company of mine used Citrix in their WAN setup. Personally, I couldn't see the purpose or the function of the program. The setup prior to Citrix worked perfectly. After Citrix the system went to hell. To be fair though, the problems may have been due to the phone companies, but I guess 'll never know.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Talking

Many companies use Citrix. The main problem people face with Citrix is that it is rarely setup correctly or used over slow WAN links that were never meant to handle the kind of load Citrix provides. Well in answer to your question: check out www.monster.com and hit the job search and subsearch Citrix. The need for Citrix certified people is enormous.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

we use citrix here, and it sucks ,we are going to win2k/terminal services shortly.
    the only thing that cirtix does that nt4.0tse didnt is the easy local drive mapping and eas (chokes) printer configuration.
    any genius such as myself can do that with some simple sharing...

I've got two clients using it.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

We use it in our company for the old arcane software that our accounting dept uses. It's really old (like created before Windows 3.1) so it's not networkable. We have offices all over the country so they need to access the software to get reports, update info, etc.

It's running on an NT box in our head office. Anybody with a Citrix client, the IP address, and password can access it.

The beauty of Citrix is the ability to share a program, especially one with an informational or database characteristic, whether or not that program was designed to be networkable in the first place.

It can't be too rare the client comes on the windows2000 cd!
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

Also windows 2000 terminal services are a dumbed down version of citrix. Citrix is in use in thousands of employers and the certification is scarce, simply because it is not a popularly touted cert (unlike MCSE or Cisco anything)and if your employer is paying for it - go for it.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I just got back and learned a bit of interesting info. Here is a couple facts that I thought were interesting. It uses ICA which is faster instead of RDP which terminal server uses. I transfers KVM data which amounts to 10-20k footprints. The only problem I could see is not having a decent server running. Citrix recommends 4-16mb of ram for each user connecting which is crap. If you look at how much you use on your computer just for maybe office or something like that then the ram requirment is going to be significantly higher. All in all I wouldn't mind using it for published apps or published desktops. It can also shadow users. Don't regret one bit taking that class...actually it helped me understand terminal server a little bit better in the process. I'm going to take the test on Monday which I here is really easy...well untill then...thank you for all your input.
    To each his/her own.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

The company I work for just started using Citrix about 6 months ago. We have several jobsites which all connect to our Citrix server. There are typically 2-5 users at each jobsite all working at the same time. The beauty of Citrix is we setup 1 PC with a shared printer and use Winproxy w/ DHCP. All of the other users at the site get a WYSE terminal and connect through the main box.

Terminal=nothing to break!!! No reinstalls, no 2 hour drive for a 5 minute fix, almost no problems at all.
    WWBRD?