[RESOLVED] Network Drives hogging resources

Thread: [RESOLVED] Network Drives hogging resources

procrastination

Post Network Drives hogging resources

Does anyone know where I can find documents on the fact that Network Drives hog network resources all the time with NT? I am looking to prove a point, but I want to go to the meeting with loaded guns. I can't seem to find it anywhere... Perhaps I was mis-informed all that time ago...

thanks

PRO

------------------
    Tell me; Future-Boy, who’s president of the United States in 1985?

Exclamation

"hog network resources"
    Explain!!!!@

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

procrastination

Lets say there were a network with "limited" bandwidth. And someone... had setup a logon script which maps 11 network drives for all users. In theroy would this bog down the network constantly, or would this cause more network traffic only at user logon.

How does a network drive access the drive? Does it use the network constantly, or only at initial map? I was once told that with NT, a network drive is always using network resources.

Or, as I said before, could I just be misinformed about how network drives use network resources? I am looking for documentation on how these 11 network drives bog down our network. I believe that if this portion of the logon script were deleted that we would have better connectivity to an already limping network.

thanks

PRO

------------------

Exclamation

Haa, OK
    First of all using Shares Cause Network Traffic (Every computer Brodacst it's share on it's boot to the Master Browser)
    Not to mention the Idiotic Master Browser Election Proccess (when Allways your server is elected, because it has the highest Credentials)
    Second - Yes, Network Drives are always connected. Take a look - if your shares are on NT based machine - goto Server Manager, highlit the machine - goto computer - Properties and look on Shares and in use Etc.

I advice you to reduce the number of shares to minimum.
    PS what protocol do you use?
    Do you use more than one Protocol (Especially if you use Netbuei or IPX/SPX)
    if you are using TCP/IP, install wins into your Server and it will reduce the number of Brodcasts Around your Network.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gabriel (edited February 12, 2001).]

procrastination

Right, I understand that they are always connected [network drives]

What is going on here... I have 2 file servers. With various types of progs and documents that people need to access on a rare occasion. The person who setup the shares on those file servers decided that he would 'force' each user to map the shares at logon. So, I have over 400 computers all of which at any one time if there is a user logged on will have 11 network drives mapped. Some of which, that user will NEVER access. I am tring to prove that having those network drives mapped is what is causing all of the network problems that we are having. Connectivity drops during peak hours when the most users are logged on. Of course this is even more hindered by the fact that users are accessing the exchange server and the internet.

Please excuse my niave-ness about the whole situation, I am pretty new, and still learning.

If I could find some reference pages that proves having: lets say 100 users logged onto a network with a 1.4meg bandwidth to the main pipeline, and all of those users have 11 network drives mapped that they are not using, then it will bog the network down.

thanks

------------------

Cool

No need to excuse, Friend!
    We are all Helping each other

I understand that you want to prove your Boses whay having this kind of network structure and usage Bottelneck your network.
    In order to smash prove your claim Install Sniffer (NAI) and Show them the MATRIX of your network (after installing the program you will see the power on this).
    P.s. Implement WINS and subneting this will greatly Improve your Network Benchmark.

If you want further more advice send me a priv message

all best for you
    Gabriel

------------------

Also change your network properties to quick logon and establish a more efficient logon script - defined on a group or user basis - this will make your network more efficient all together as well as each drive mapping that you use takes resources on the users machine as well.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010