adsl ic sharing with three ME computers

Thread: adsl ic sharing with three ME computers

Post adsl ic sharing with three ME computers

Does anyone know of a good "how to do " guide for sharing an adsl connection with three puters we have three Win ME puters 1 adsl connection 1 hub three nic's and a pile of cat5 cables oh and ou adsl modem is a generic usb type any help greatfuly recieved

------------------
    Now why are these screws left over...?
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

I've no idea if there's a specific one for your purposes (I'd be surprised if there isn't) but the for dummies range are brilliant.. Check out amazon for one on subject. They normaly cost about £20 to £30. Same in dollars. http://www.dummies.com/

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

http://catalog.dummies.com/product.asp?isbn=076450715X

there ya goo.. It's bound to be helpfull

------------------

x_789

Dont get to worried about the fact that you are on dsl you will have to run a proxy server software. There are plenty of those that are free also. Check out this page it has links to how to guides its 98 instead of me but the general conecpts are the same. http://windows.about.com/compute/window s/cs/connectionsharing/index.htm?IAM=intelliseek&terms=+internet++connect ion++sharing++how++to++ My recomendation is get a 150.00 dsl router and save alot of hassel. X

guess it helps to pay attention to what you are reading huh ?

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited February 06, 2001).]

MacGyver

Arrow

Try these sites:

www.dslreports.com
    www.speedguide.net
    www.practicallynetworked.com
    www.sympaticousers.org

I fear the only option for you, since the modem is USB, is to set up one computer as a server for the other two. Or get a cheap, older computer and use it as a Linux gateway.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

MAC's got it right, the Linux box will make life so much easier and you can whip up a script to act as a nice firewall as well!!, If your ISP would let you get an external with RJ45, get a cheap router...but a lot of ISP's won't let you get that model unless you whine, plead and beg, or threaten to get cable
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

iateyourcat

i can't believe these posts. this is not hard and requires no additional software or hardware.

1) install nics/drivers/etc in all three machines and plug them into the hub
    2) install internet connection sharing on the machine with the dsl modem.
    3) use the floppy that ICS makes to configure your client machines.
    4) your done.

there are also two considerations

1) is your isp using PPPOE? If so, the only way to share your connection is with a DSL router that does PPPOE like the Cisco 671 (around $170 on ebay).

2) if your not using PPPOE you can simplify your setup by using an external modem with an RJ45 connector to a linksys dsl/cable router/switch (or any of the internet connection sharing routers that are out now). the benefit of this is that you don't dedicate a whole machine to ICS and you get a 5 port switch as a bonus.

what kind of modem and software did they give you?

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

StevePorter

Exclamation

An external router with DSL is the only way to fly. I've set up three different peer-to-peer networks, each with a Cisco 675 router plugged directly into the hub, and everybody dances the dance. It's so simple it hurts...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Thanx for the reply's guys the sevice we get sux i am still waiting for the goods oh and get the we have to have there modem and pay $200 for the pleasure if we want to connect more than one puter we have to pay corporate rates(not if we dont tell them the modem though is a usb dont know what brand all they say it is only compatable with win 98 so the first thing i will have to do is get a damn patch so modem to router router to all pc's seems the best way to go. If you want to see the POS of a service we are getting http://www.emirates.net.ae/alshamil/

------------------
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"

MacGyver

Guys guys guys, PLEASE pay attention to my post above. Some DSL ISP's that use PPPOE are starting to use USB modems. It's pretty damn hard to plug a USB modem into an Ethernet hub/router for sharing.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    Dont get to worried about the fact that you are on dsl you will have to run a proxy server software. There are plenty of those that are free also. Check out this page it has links to how to guides its 98 instead of me but the general conecpts are the same. http://windows.about.com/compute/win...ing++how++to++ My recomendation is get a 150.00 dsl router and save alot of hassel. X

guess it helps to pay attention to what you are reading huh ?

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited February 06, 2001).]
    </font>
    Well spent 4 hours trying to figure this thing out. then
    installed winproxy from ositis software...WOW its amazing set everything up automaticaly dont event have to configure the client computers plus there site is full of useful info on networking thanx all..HAPPPPPYY

------------------