[RESOLVED] Printing to Local printer from Win2k terminal Server client
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Printing to Local printer from Win2k terminal Server client

MAC

Question Printing to Local printer from Win2k terminal Server client

I know there is a way for remote users using Terminal Server Client to print to their local printer. I am having trouble finding documentation to set this thing up. I would appreciate any help available. Thanks

iamtheman

Well basically thats what Citrix Metaframe is for. Although its now available in Windows 2000 terminal server. What version are you using? Include the service pack levels please

------------------
    Born to Network

iamtheman

Mac,

With the Win2000 version of terminal services, I believe you can map local printers through the session.

I believe in the user properties or in the terminal service administrator you have an option somewhere of allowing or disallowing client printer mappings. Then you just have to load the printer drivers on the server itself. (Load the printer as a local printer on TS then delete the printer, the drivers will stay.)

Sorry if this is a little off, I haven't really played with the terminal services in Win2000 yet and my experience comes from NT terminal services and Metaframe 1.8

------------------
    Born to Network

What about the net use command, thats what we use here with Terminal Server on NT4, may its different with 2000

------------------
    I'm on the right track but the wrong train...or is it the right train but wrong track ?
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

iateyourcat

you are the man. your right on.

net use is for mapping an lpt port to a shared printer so you can print from dos based apps.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

MAC

Net use commands are often a great solution. But what do I do if there is no port to map to. I cannot get the terminal server to recognize any ports on the remote computer. Terminal server and his computer work independantly. (If I map a printer to LPT1 it will print to LPT1 on the terminal server itself rather than LPT1 on the remote computer). Does that make any sense???

MAC

no one knows huh?

iamtheman

MAC,

Did you follow my post??? The user has to be allowed to auto-map printers and the printer driver needs to be loaded on the server. All you have to do is load the printer as a local printer, then delete it, and the drivers will stay. I would also apply SP1 if you haven't already.

------------------
    Born to Network

MAC

I did follow your instrustions, but funny thing, It was already setup to auto-map client printers at logon. But when the user logs in and trys to add a printer, the "local" option is greyed out, and it does not map the printer. I also have SP1 installed already. I may have to uninstall terminal services and reinstall them. I'm not the one who installed them so I'm not sure how it was origionally setup. Thats why I would try the mapping method. But... Well I went through that already. Any other ideas?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iamtheman:
    MAC,

Did you follow my post??? The user has to be allowed to auto-map printers and the printer driver needs to be loaded on the server. All you have to do is load the printer as a local printer, then delete it, and the drivers will stay. I would also apply SP1 if you haven't already.

</font>

iamtheman

MAC,

O.K. we are on the right track. The users should not have to install the printer. If you go onto the console (the server itself) and add the drivers yourself, the client printers will automap. The terminal server just needs to be aware of what kind of printers are out there. Also be aware that in the days of NT 4.0 terminal services if you added the wrong printer drivers your server would blue screen when a user attempted to print.

------------------
    Born to Network

MAC

ok I'll give it a shot. How can I tell if it auto-maps when a user is connected? can i tell if a printer auto-mapped when that user is not connected?

iamtheman

MAC,

Pretty soon I'm going to have to start charging you.

When the printer automaps the client will see something along the lines of #computername\printername. Something like that anyways, that way they know which printer to choose to print to. When testing this don't use any "proprietary apps" use Word or Wordpad.

------------------
    Born to Network

MAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iamtheman:
    MAC,

Pretty soon I'm going to have to start charging you.

When the printer automaps the client will see something along the lines of #computername\printername. Something like that anyways, that way they know which printer to choose to print to. When testing this don't use any "proprietary apps" use Word or Wordpad.

</font>
    I'm poor as hell so charging won't help
    I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again for all your help.

MAC

problem solved.
    Thanks for all your help guys!

[This message has been edited by MAC (edited March 01, 2001).]

iamtheman

Mac,

Out of curiousity, did following what I said fix the problem or was it something else??

------------------
    Born to Network