[RESOLVED] Network Neighborhood: Endless browse...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Network Neighborhood: Endless browse...

tk421

Post Network Neighborhood: Endless browse...

I just ran into the strangest problem ever today:

This small 4 computer network has been working fine for a while. All of a sudden today, when users try to browse for other computers in network neighborhood (all win98 machines), the little flashlight just endlessly searches. However, I have some drives mapped (for use with quickbooks), and they work fine! Also, a DSL modem is hooked up to the hub, and the computers can all access the Internet.

So basically, everything works except browsing through net neighborhood (also, typing \\computer from the Run line doesn't work either).

Any ideas? Thanks....

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

x_789

You never get it to time out and say network is unavliable. Try doing "net stat" from dos will do the same thing as network neighborhood. Als make sure everyone is clicking when they log into network. Still this sounds like a browser problem you may set one machine to master browser and disable all others. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

tk421

I'll try net stat, thanks.

However, I had already one computer set to the BM, and all the others disabled. However, I ended up bringing one computer back to our facility for testing. It worked right away. I wonder if the BM computer became corrupted somehow?

tim

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

Thats the funniest thing it happened to me and our small lan all computers had file and printer sharing setup some would browse then others wouldnt then they would change, after a while though all computers eventualy browse perfectly!!!!without any intervention only normal booting oh and we use windows logon instead of microsoft netwoks so we dont have to click the damn box and all compuerts share a dsl. but the my network places sometimes takes forever to find the network

------------------
    Now why are these screws left over...?
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

Run Winipconfig /all from the Run Line.
    Check IP adresses for resolution. IE are you running TCP/IP on the network if not try this link http://www.techrepublic.com to learn more about TCP/IP Adressing and how it can work for you.MAC adreess can also cause a problem depending on which NIC cards are installed as each has there own MAC assigned adress. If you are running NetBUI consider switching to TCP/IP or Reinstalling Networking with an update on your Win 98 systems.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Master Tech
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Had the same deal Sat. I think the card was bad or a driver issue, I could hook up to dsl, but couldn't find any machines through network neighborhood. Going to try some new cards

------------------
    I'm on the right track but the wrong train...or is it the right train but wrong track ?
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

tk421

you know, I think I may have found the problem. After running a virusscan on the computer, I found a w32/msinit.worm.b virus. I couldn't find much info on it, other than it infected itself via network shares. After removing it, the problem went away on the one computer. I am going to run a scan on the others and see if I can get the problem to disappear completely.

thanks, -tim

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

tk421

you know, I think I may have found the problem. After running a virusscan on the computer, I found a w32/msinit.worm.b virus. I couldn't find much info on it, other than it infected itself via network shares. After removing it, the problem went away on the one computer. I am going to run a scan on the others and see if I can get the problem to disappear completely.

thanks, -tim

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

techleet

That virus is not the problem, dude. This is a common problem with win98 boxes and I believe it's a browser issue like someone said earlier. True, the w32/msinit worm does spread through network shares, but it doesn't do anything other than multiply as far as I can tell. I checked out mcafee's virus definition on it. Can you get to the machines through Start, Run, \\compname? If not, you could always add an entry in the hosts file. This should be unnecessary, because I believe the master browser should handle all that, but I think Win98 first checks hosts file and then the master browser request. Well, good luck! (by the way, in Win98 boxes the hosts file is in the windows dir and it's called hosts.sam. Ren it to hosts and edit it in notepad: IP Addy <tab> computer name. Sucks, but it's a bandaide.

------------------
    --------------------------------------
    Subnetting is key.

tk421

I read the same description on mcafee, and you're right, it doesn't say that it would cause any of the problems I was having. But once I removed the viruses from all the computers, their network worked PERFECTLY.

I think it's safe to say that virus was the culprit.

tk421

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

MAC

It is not the most streamlined way to fix the problem, but if you add netbuei to all computers, I guaruntee they will see each other.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MAC:
    It is not the most streamlined way to fix the problem, but if you add netbuei to all computers, I guaruntee they will see each other. </font>
    Err we use netbeui and TCP/IP sometimes we can browse sometimes we cant however we also have msinit.b so i will remove it and let you know ps what was the best way to remove it we deleted it removed the registry entry and it just came back!!

------------------
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"

tk421

you will have to replace wininit.exe from the windows cab files. I used sfc.exe and just restored wininit.exe from the cabs to c:\windows\system.

After that, you will have to reboot and the virus is gone. The only after effect is a DOS window that pops up after reboot, saying something to the effect of "Wininit.exe cannot be run from within windows". To get rid of this nuisance, remove the bymer.scanner entries from the registry that point to wininit.exe: HKLM/Software/microsoft/windows/current version/run/bymer.scanner
    and any others you find.

good luck. that virus caused me much grief until i found it -tk

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

It sounds like you are using netbeui, however in case you aren't try enabling netbeui on your internal network. Netbeui is an incredibly easy to configure network protocol for small microsoft networks. It generates a bit of active network traffic, but this should not be a problem on a small network. Also if you have an open internet connection that you are sharing make sure that your proxy/firewall does not pass the netbeui packets, nor allow them from outside, or you will open your network up to the world (remember the cable modem situation where everyone on a local hub could see everyone else?)

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Removed virus (thanks tk) what an idiot am i when i first deleted it i didnt remove it from the recycle bin!!!!anyway that didnt help the intermittent browse problem what did it was we had to move on puter when we disconnected it from the network all the browsing problems dissapeared!!!! when we tried to reconnect it in its new location the NIC had stopped functioning replaced the NIC now all computers browse the network places mapping drives no problem and accessing the dsl do NIC's just go bad!? and can one bad NIC cause browsing difficulties for all other computers?

------------------