[RESOLVED] 100 mbps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] 100 mbps

Jpbtennisman

Post 100 mbps

I have a small home network, basically consisting of 4 Windows 2000 Pro computer connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Cable/DSL router. I have 10 MBPS network cards installed in all the computers. However I find the file transfer speed a little slow and would like to upgrade to 100MBPS.

The guy that installed my cable modem said I would need a server (?) to do this. But I would like to know from another source...would upgrading to a 100MBPS network be as simple as installing 100MBPS network cards in each computer? Or is there more to it? My router has a built in 10/100 switch. I'm VERY new to networking so I don't know! Please help

iamtheman

I don't know a lot about that router/switch, if it says its 10/100 then I guess it is. All you have to do is get 100mb NIC cards, I recommend Intel Pro 100's and make sure you are using CAT5 cable. The new NIC cards will not help your file transfer's over the Internet though. You probably know that though.

* Keep in mind that other factors in transfer speeds also exist: Disk writes/reads, quirky programs, windows flaking out, etc. *

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

[This message has been edited by iamtheman (edited March 06, 2001).]

CiscoGuy

Yes, with that device it would be as simple as using 100base-t cards. Also you must make sure they are set to either auto switch or 100meg operation in their drivers.

One thing though, this will help if you are talking file transfers from one system to another on your local lan. However if you are looking for an increase in your Internet transfer speed, forget it.

If you are using a 10/100 switch router/hub then yes, all you need to do is switch the nic's. No server is necessary.

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

Jpbtennisman

Thank you, it seems that everybody said the same thing! Those professionals...they kept me fiddling with my router for 2 hours turning it on "their way" to fix a cable modem problem, and when I turned it on the way I always do it worked. Go figure.

MacGyver

It should speed things up between workstations, but your cable modem is likely a 10 megabit device, so transfers over the internet will not be any faster than they are now.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    Thank you, it seems that everybody said the same thing! Those professionals...they kept me fiddling with my router for 2 hours turning it on "their way" to fix a cable modem problem, and when I turned it on the way I always do it worked. Go figure.</font>
    Those "professionals." Yes some of them are very good but I've also seen (and repaired) a number of systems trashed by "The Cable Guy."

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Machine to machine = performance increase
    Cable modem = limited to 6.6 Mbps - so no increase.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

x_789

As I fully agree with all my pears above. You guys forgot to mention the Cat5 or better cabling. Make sure when you add them new cards you have cat5 or better cables or else you may have some nasty speratic problems. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Gotta throw my 2 cents woth in. I notice that all of your ports are already used, if in the future you decide to expand, keep in mind whatever hub you purchase will need to be capable of 100 mbps, or you will be back to where you are now. So don't buy the cheap one like I did at first.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

supatech

Why do you think you need 100MB for four machines? 10 is more than enough for internet, file sharing and gaming. Waste of money for NIC's

MCP A+ NET+

auxegro

Waste money????

My Netgear 10/100 cards only cost about $25US apiece and the 5-port 10/100 switch was only $50US. Since many NIC's are 10/100 the only real cost is in the hub or switch. I think my original 10Base Hub was around $30US. Since the cost is not much more, why not go to 100Base.

Paul Nesbitt

Cool

LOL, like the trashed by cable guy!,
    when mine was finally installed, i used ping and trace to give it a check out, and the engy said "can you do that on any pc?" laugh i nearly kicked him out of the door!!

Paul

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Nesbitt:
    LOL, like the trashed by cable guy!,
    when mine was finally installed, i used ping and trace to give it a check out, and the engy said "can you do that on any pc?" laugh i nearly kicked him out of the door!!

Paul
    </font>

You say ENGY as though it could be short for engineer - in my area most of the cable and dsl modem installers took one class and maybe an A+ class - as a whole - useless, however the registered user "Cable Modem Tech" is dang good.

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Jpbtennisman

Hey everyone...I know that it's not going to speed up my cable modem hehehehe... But as long as it will give me 100MBPS file transfers, which round out to about 12 Megabytes/sec, right?