[RESOLVED] Windows Me and Network Protocols.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Me and Network Protocols.

ZargovZylor

Question Windows Me and Network Protocols.

I have a problem with a new install of Me. I need to add Netbeui to the protocols but... When I go to add protocols it isn't listed. As a matter of fact, only the ATM protocols are listed. No TCP/IP, IPX, none. Also on this same machine, When it is started Windows comes up without logging anyone on. I can log off and it automatically logs in the only username on the machine but won't do it at startup.

I tried the MS solution and made sure the net*.inf files weren't corrupt but that's about all I can find about it.

Looking for help.

Thanks

GirlGeek

Ok..this is going to sound really stupid, cuz it does sound like you know what you're doing but here goes..

Did you check in add windows programs to at least make certain that a full install of communications was loaded?

Like I said..sounds silly but I know how I can get when I'm too close to a situation.

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

x_789

Hey what Client are you using and what login are you using ??? .X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

ZargovZylor

Lord knows I overlook things simple like that too but... Not this time. ALL items in the Add/Remove Windows setup are installed. I needed to mak Mr. Gates feel like someone was using all this useless stuff. And... just for the record... It wasn't all installed when the problem started.

Using Client for Microsoft Networks as client and login. Have tried removing all networking, setting it up for login with Windows Login, etc...

I'm hoping that someone can help me save the rest of my hair.

Thanks

GirlGeek

It's starting to sound like a bad install to me, but that is kind of an oxymoron with WinME. (sorry, couldn't resist, I pulled my hair out last night networking an ME box)
    As much as I hate to suggest a reinstall, have you tried that yet?

I'm thinking it's just one of those things that make you go hmmm and you might just need to start from scratch.

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

What protocols are currently installed? When a protocol is added it gets removed from the list of available protocol to add.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

ZargovZylor

The only protocol currently installed is TCP/IP. I should point out that this was not listed in the protocols to add either and was only installed when I removed dial up networking and re-installed it. It works fine.

At this point I am leaning towards re-installing Me. Hoping it doesn't come to that since I will have to replace the other things on the drive but...

Hopefully someone has a better idea than that.

x_789

OK im to lazy to verify and check this. But is Win Me smart enough to only let you install certain protocols on a dialup adapter? If so do you only have dialup installed? If yes add some kind of adapter its irrelevant 3com what ever jsut to get one installed then see if it enables the options. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

PEZ_B0y

Talking

yes you can bind and unbind protocols to everything Win98 and up not sure about 95 though.

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit
    This is why they call me PEZ_B0y

PEZ_B0y

oh and are you useing DNS so it automatically assigns an IP and Subnet Mask if not you have to enter that info yourself

right click on network neighborhood goto preferences find tcp/ip on the network card double click on it hit specify and enter 198.162.0.? and the subnet should be 255.255.255.0

put a random number were the ? is and if it doesnt work try another # be sure and make it random

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit
    This is why they call me PEZ_B0y

Also try removing all the pieces of the network from network control panel, check the regestry to make sure nothing is left.

Reinstall dial-up adapter and tcp/ip, check to be sure that all other protocols exist.

Also I have had nothing but problems with ME and refuse to run it now.

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010