KVM Switches - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KVM Switches

I use Belkin also (did anyone metion them?)
    And some cables ARE switch specific. Remember that the Belkin K/M cables are the SAME on both ends, but the monitor is DIFFERENT on the ends. Some KVMs use the same connection for both ends of the monitor.
    (Trust me that one cost me $40)
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Belkin is definitely a way to go. I use the OmniCube 4pt at work and it seems to work fine with 1 major exception for me. The mouse will appear to lock up or go missing when switching from one computer to another.

After much research, the answer per Belkin is this --> It only supports the Intellipoint v1.0. Most of the scroll mice avail are v1.1 or greater. There is no firmware or sw update avail or planned per Belkin. They did say that if you unplug the mouse from the front of the switch and then replug back in, it works fine. Apparently the signal that is transmitted from the intellipoint mouse via the switch doesn't always go thru when switching from one machine to another. This obviously doesn't affect non-intellipoint mice.

My solution....connect my scroll mouse to the main computer and a generic ps/2 to the switch....works beautifully!

Devlin
    "Just replace the chair to keyboard interface and it should work fine!"

Thanks to everybody for your input. The next step is convincing the boss that we need one. Hmmmmm, we have eight different keyboards and mice laying on a table running to the different servers.....may not be necessary.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

I deal with Belkin, and I used to sell them. I can only say they are very simple KVMs. They are not very good at user options such as remote start up and such. I think Belkin is overated. They are the most EXPESIVE simple KVMs, and the offer nothing for the price of a LinkSys. Belkin cables are marked UP BY 150%. Ex. PS/2 cable 5 dollars, cost 78 cents at cost to reseller. Though this is not Belkin's fault, but Belkin does not offer MRSP prices. Nor do they support the cables with warranites (not really needed, but hey we demand it).
    Thanks for at least reading my post