[RESOLVED] Cable internet coming, now what???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Cable internet coming, now what???

Dreddnews

Question Cable internet coming, now what???

I am getting cable internet access in two weeks and needed to know what items I would need for it. First up my house has 3 computers right now, maybe more in the future. One is a server, and the others are workstations. I was planning on having the cable run off the server but should I use a router then use a switch or what? And should I have some sort of firewall up to protect ourselves. I have also heard that the internet service changes our ip's for us every week. Please any suggestions will help greatly!

------------------
    Damon Armour
    Webmaster of Dredd News
    http://www.dreddnews.com
    [email protected]

I would get a good 4 port cable router. No need for an extra hub/switch and built in firewall.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

Dreddnews

Question

Any suggestions for which one I should purchase? Also I may have up to 6 computers or more in the house on certain occasions. What should I do about that?

------------------
    Damon Armour
    Webmaster of Dredd News
    http://www.dreddnews.com
    [email protected]

k9fto

A Good one is made by Linksys for a 4 port. Use one of the ports as a uplink and get an inexpensive hub to connect the rest. The documentation that came with the linksys units we purchased for a VPN worked very well and explained how to do the rest.

------------------
    Gary Spurger - Cpl
    Tech Services / Computer Crimes Division
    Harris County Constables, Precinct 4

Use the 4 port linksys - it has built in proxy and firewall services. RoadRunner uses DHCP - and as with all DHCP servers your lease on a particular IP runs out and your machine (the cable modem) must apply for another - if you want one static RR charges 89.00/mo.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

x_789

What cable provider are you using ?
    ALSO I Know everyone likes linksys in this place But my two cents I would rather give to Sadam Husein then spend on a linksys POS i hav etwo linksys paper weights at home. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

MAC

I agree with you X. I would rather spend $500 on watchguards piece of **** SOHO hub firewall combo. Go with a netgear or 3COM

if your already running a server...depending on the os...why not just add a second nic and a cheap hub...the server will act as the firewall....heck, install zonealarm on it..which is free...and save a few bucks...depending on your security requirements and cash to spend
    #3 1951-2001

SuBz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Weazel:
    if your already running a server...depending on the os...why not just add a second nic and a cheap hub...the server will act as the firewall....heck, install zonealarm on it..which is free...and save a few bucks...depending on your security requirements and cash to spend </font>
    I agree with this solution. Adding another NIC is a very cheap way of doing things. You can add firewall and gateway programs to route between your network and the Internet. It beats spending $150 or whatever on one of those home router setups.

PEZ_B0y

http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/...9/03306911.htm

this is the one I'm getting only $100+$7 shipping and its has everything the linksys has and more its a freaking switch not a dumb hub and it has a print server feature. I would totally go with this becuase if you put another nic card in your taking up another slot that could be used more effectivly.

------------------
    I like PEZ a bit
    This is why they call me PEZ_B0y

x_789

Well SMC is a ok product I have dealt with a few. That looks like a heck of a lot better of a deal than the Linksys wait some sting and two pepsi cans are a better conection than a linksys setup. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:
    wait some sting and two pepsi cans are a better conection than a linksys setup. X

</font>
    I have been using a linksys dsl router in my home LAN for 9 months now and have yet to see any problems. I would personaly go with the linksys before going with SMC, although the built in print server would be nice.

SuBz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PEZ_B0y:
    http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/...9/03306911.htm

this is the one I'm getting only $100+$7 shipping and its has everything the linksys has and more its a freaking switch not a dumb hub and it has a print server feature. I would totally go with this becuase if you put another nic card in your taking up another slot that could be used more effectivly.

</font>
    He said he already had a server. I'm sure the server as a paralell port, therefore he can use it as a print server as well. The server only has to share the internet and print, then what else will it need extra slots for? Buying another NIC is the most economic solution.

PJPilate

Wink

This is kinda a late post, but I use a Netgear RT311 at home. This is a solid device, once you get the most recent firmware. This will allow you to IRC, ICQ, AOL, IM, and send/recieve files. The only downside to this is that the router will block all incoming Telnet, Web, and FTP requests, so FTP servers cant be ran. But this is a highly secure router, and you hook your modem into the router, and the router into any port of your hub!

mikecso

The Netgear solution is a good one. Netgear is a cheap and solid performer. I disagree w/ the Zone alarm. It will prove to be more a pain in the *** then anything else. We have installed MANY netgear routers in the field. Easy to set up and works well w/ Road Runner and ComCast@home.