[RESOLVED] Net Neighborhood and WAN

Thread: [RESOLVED] Net Neighborhood and WAN

ksm2552

Angry Net Neighborhood and WAN

Ok, heres the situation, I'm doing a job for a customer that has multiple locations with about 100 Win98 machines, Each location has a router with a WAN link back the corporate headquarters. They want to be able to access the shared resources from each system anywhere on the network from the network neighborhood. How do I go about doing this? I though NETBIOS names wouldn't go past a router. Any suggestion would be a help...Thanks

------------------
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

xtac

Suggestion: using tcp/ip, use different subnets for each location. make sure each location can ping the others(routing tables). have a WINS server. each pc needs to have the WINS server configured in tcp/ip settings. you can do this using DHCP, or static IP w/ manually config. depending on the size and pipe of each location, you could have 1 WINS and DHCP server or multiple.

ksm2552

OK, I know I could run DHCP and WINS, but is there a possibility of using just Win98 with no extra services.

------------------
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

condor

LMhosts file

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

Condor,

You read my mind! Without using a server, assign static ip's to all machines and create you LMhosts file. This way you can get by without DHCP or WINS.

chip35

Netbios names go thru a router just fine, NETBEUI doesn't (a protocol by Microsoft of course).
    Heres a cool LM Hosts file option
    10.0.0.1 somelmhostserver #PRE
    This preloads the name cache for speed
    $INCLUDE \\somelmhostserver\somedir\lmhosts
    This loads a common lmhosts file from the server mentioned above.
    Saves on editing the lmhosts file on every machine.

------------------
    What's the differance between 'twisted' and 'torqued' anyways?

xtac

You can definitely use an lmhost file. Be careful. That info gets loaded into RAM automatically. Also, Windows parses the lmhost list from top to bottom. Items listed on the bottom take longer to access. It is much easier to manage usinh WINS. DHCP is definitely not necessary.

Also, You can take an old p133, put linux on it for FREE, and make a SAMBA server. Same as a WINS server.

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by condor:
    LMhosts file

</font>
    Be carefull:
    A. a lot of work
    B. When the System Properties Change You need to Change the LMHOST file in Each Workstation on the NET.
    C. Implememting Good Wins (With Pull/Push) will Reduce Network Traffic across WAN Link - which is always COST/SLOW than LAN

In General:
    Browsing is a luxury - I usually Avoid it because it Generate so much Traffic.

Only use i when you Must!

Somewhat related - In the network Properties of Win9x based machines -> File and Printer Sharin - Disable Master Browsing...
    This will Reduce Traffic on your network Dramatically - You will eliminate Browse Master Election on Win9x Station...
    The whole process is idiotic because Win9x Machines usually don't have a chance to become Master Browser. NT Servers (Usually DomainControllers) has the best chances.

Hoped i helped you
    Gabriel

Condor -> I really Miss you (not in the Romantic way ( ).

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

iamtheman

WINS----you don't want to get involved in LMHOSTs files.

------------------
    Born to Network

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ksm2552:
    OK, I know I could run DHCP and WINS, but is there a possibility of using just Win98 with no extra services.

</font>
    Reading this post tells me he can't run a WINS server since they only have win98 PC's unless there is a 3rd party WINS server software package that could be run. So this is a serverless setup essentially? Bummer, no central administration point? This could have been solved by Win2k with ADS and DFS to go to the directory and see all the shares of your entire network, I guess you are stuck with LMHOST files.

Question, I don't get to play with WAN's like I want to but if it is all specified in the LMHOST file will they see "across" the WAN in network neighborhood?

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thirdfey:

Question, I don't get to play with WAN's like I want to but if it is all specified in the LMHOST file will they see "across" the WAN in network neighborhood?

</font>
    As long as your routers are set up correctly you should be able to see across the WAN.