Networking Microsoft Outlook

Thread: Networking Microsoft Outlook

Post Networking Microsoft Outlook

A client of mine wants to network Microsoft Outlook 2000. The probem is that I have never done this before. I think that I have to run Microsoft Exchange on the server...? But thats just what I've heard. Any advice from the network admins? What do I need to do. All the guy really wants to do is use the daytimer (scheduling) feature in Outlook. Thanks for your help!

Network outlook? Your on the right track looking at exchange server. I'm not sure why he wants scheduler networked. Outlook is designed as a personal app but you could throw it on a server and allow shares but why?
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Right. Install Exchange server. Then you will need to configure Outlook to the "corporate network" mode (instead of the "internet only" mode. Setup public folders (very easily done), and create however many shared calendars you like.

Though it sounds like all this might be overkill... I think you just need to find a decent 3rd party scheduling app for the guy.

tk

Just one added note: While certainly compatible with Exchange Server, it isn't necessary for sharing a schedule in Outlook.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    Just one added note: While certainly compatible with Exchange Server, it isn't necessary for sharing a schedule in Outlook.
    I agree, I currently have a number of users sharing a calanderin outlook without using an exchange server. In outlook you can share out calanders, task lists, and contacts.

Well I'll be....

I don't know why I didn't figure that out sooner. I had a customer about a year ago who wanted to share their Outlook calendar, and everyone I knew told me it couldn't be done w/o exchange. But now I just tried dragging my calendar to a folder on my network, and it works just like you guys said.