Transferring the PDC Role - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transferring the PDC Role

Jeez, this isn't looking good is it??

Is that the only server listed in the DNS servers??

Are you getting errors in the event viewer of your first 2000 domain controller??

You should be able to ping the first domain controller by DNS name, IP address, Netbios name etc. before you run DCPROMO on the second server. Keep me posted.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

you are the man. thanks for staying with me here...

Is that the only server listed in the DNS servers??
    Yes

Are you getting errors in the event viewer of your first 2000 domain controller??
    Yes, as a matter of fact. I am getting an error from NETLOGON, saying:

The DNS server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS. Add the DNS records from the file "%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\netlogon.dns" to the DNS server serving the domain referenced in that file.

Though I'm not sure what to do with that info.

You should be able to ping the first domain controller by DNS name, IP address, Netbios name etc. before you run DCPROMO on the second server. Keep me posted.
    I can ping the IP and the Netbios name, but not the dns name (server.innov8v.com, or innov8v.com). It says "unknown host..."

well, in the end, i just ended up creating a new domain, and changing my clients to the new one. it really wasn't that big a deal, I was just hoping I would be able to figure out how to do it the better way. thanks for everyone's help...

tim