Remote control
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote control

Post Remote control

I have a few machines networked via MS networking and netbui installed on the NIC's. I do most of my work off a ME Athelon 850, and would like to have remote control of the other machines on the network, beyond just accessing drives. I would like to be able to run progs on the other machines.

Can anybody tell me of any software that would allow me to do this, and if it is free/share ware, where can I find it.

Please help !!!

Saber
    We walk among you to this day, hidden by an elaborate masquerade...

look for winvnc, i've never used it on NetBEUI network but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Oh, and its free and easy to use.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Try PcAnywhere...you need tcp/ip if I remember correctly but that isn't too hard to install.
    To each his/her own.

We use a program called NetOp. It runs about $170, but it works perfectly. NetOp WebPage
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

Middle of Nowhere and 1 mile north, in Alberta, CANADA

I'd recommed pcanywhere also, as someone earlier suggested
    Never let the facts get in the way of a carefully thought out bad idea!

I cant get TCP/IP configured correctly - when I install it, I lose connectivity of the home network. Can anybody explain how I configure this in relation to IP addresses and default gateways ???

If I can get it going, I'm gonna buy PC Anywhere.

Saber

Is this network only internal, or does it have a router and a connection to the internet? The easiest way is to use this address scheme.

IP: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

For each additional machine, increase the value of the last octet by 1. So, the second machine's IP would be 192.168.1.101 etc...
    If this is solely internal with no internetworking you should have no problems. But if there is a router on your network, things will need to be a little different. Hope this helps.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

I tried what you said - no network connectivity, and no net.

I have a main machine with ME installed - it has a Dlink NIC connected to the CM, and a 3com NIC for the home network. Every other machine has a single NIC for the home network. Netbui is installed in the NIC's for the home network, and TCP/IP for the Dlink connecting to the CM.

I can see and browse all other PC's on the home network with netbui, but want to install PC Anywhere, which requires IP.

By installing IP, I lose the home network, and by assigning a default gateway, I lose the net connection.

I really need help in setting up IP on these machines so that I can maintain the home network, and also see the net. I do not want any of the other machines to have net access though.

Hope you can help - I have tried half a dozen other forum's and got nowhere - please let Windrivers be my saviour !!!

Saber

the newer versions of MS NetMeeting have a Remote Desktop Sharing feature. Especially cool because it's free and usually already installed on your computer.

tk

Smile

Hi Saber,

I have a network running tcp/ip and use VNC. Excellent Productm, you can use it over NetBeui. I have installed it so that it runs as a service so you can check a PC with out have the user to double click to start the program. Passworded so no one else can just jump on in.

It works well over telephone and frame relay.
    Damon Campbell (MCSE)
    New Zealand

Definately use VNC - download.com has a link to get it and it runs fast, silent and easily. Best of all - It is FREE.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

We use PC Anywhere here, it should work with netbeui, there is a choice under connection when adding a new remote control item
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

money

Cool

i use VNC and it is a great program. you can use your mouse,keyboard,monitor on the computer u are useing now to look on other computer on your network.

A free one that comes with the OS - NetMeeting(comes with ME/2000 - Download v3.0+ for others). Use the Remote Desktop Sharing feature. Enjoy!

question about vnc: Does it run "silently" under Windows 9x? I've gotten it to run as a service under NT/2000 without the tasktray icon. But can I do this under 9x?