[RESOLVED] Windows 98 Networking

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 98 Networking

Silk

Post Windows 98 Networking

I just barely got my personal system running really sweet. Wiped everything clean and reloaded Windows98b. I have two other machines, one in my office and the other downstairs running Windows ME. The last thing I was doing, was configuring my network settings. I changed the computer name and workgroup to match the others, rebooted and in mid process got a blue screen. I had to turn off the machine and turn it back on. It came up fine, everything seemed ok, but when I went to network neighborhood to browse, nothing appears at all. Totally blank. I figured the blue screen corrupted the computer name/workgroup name change, so I removed everything in network neighborhood and shut down. Rebooted, added everything again and still same problem. I REALLY don't want to start over again. Does anyone have any ideas? I've never seen this before. It won't find any computers either.

Silk

x_789

When you say same thing i assume you mean it crashed when reinstalling the workgroup and so forth. Boot into safe mode and change seetings from network in control panle. Try that I have had vxds get hung on shutdown after making changes like that before and buy configuring nic in safemode i was able to get a clean shutdow. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Silk

No, by same thing, I mean nothing appears in network neighborhood at all. It hasn't crashed yet at all. I'll try removing and adding in safe mode, any other ideas?

Have you tried to un-install then re-install the nic?

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

have you tried scanreg /fix in dos mode?

------------------
    hmm win 98 command prompt
    lets try c:\>/con/con
    illegal what?
    echo label c: cursed >>c:\autoexec.bat
    Luke, OBGYN Kanobi is the only one!!

arcade

how long have you given it before trying network neighbourhood.. sometimes it takes a while.

has this system ever worked? (i just ask because you'll need to set shared "folders")

Tux

This sounds wierd but it works. If you remove everything in your networking properties, uninstall Dial Up Networking from the Windows setup, then reinstall DUN and everything else it will reinstall your tcp/ip stack and that could solve your problems.

------------------
    Cache miss - please take better aim next time

robbydobby

make sure u have file shareing on all machines also have u checked to see if it works on any of ur other machines?????
    also what machines show up if all three do then ur set just hit f5 a couple times to refresh the folder and see if they appear

------------------
    How do I set my laser printer to "stun"?
    I can't back up my hard drive, there's no reverse button.

computertechgirl

Lightbulb

If you haven't already:

Try deleting the NIC card from Device Manager and reboot. Let Windows detect and reload the drivers for the NIC. Then reconfigure your network settings.

This has worked for me in many instances.

Good Luck!
    -Erica

darkadvenger

Cool

I assume your current network protocol is NetBeui.

Tyr using TCP/IP and see if u can ping each other.

Make sure that you have either NetBeui or NetBIOS over TCP/IP installed, they are required for browsing services, also I would boot into safe mode, remove microsoft client and reboot, reinstall ms client and reset workgroup settings. Also can the two other machines see each other?

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Change the systems network name.

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.