[RESOLVED] LINKSYS BEFSR41 CABLE ROUTER

Thread: [RESOLVED] LINKSYS BEFSR41 CABLE ROUTER

gibson1

Post LINKSYS BEFSR41 CABLE ROUTER

JUST GOT A BEFSR41 CABLE ROUTER TO SHARE MY CABLE ACCESS,BEFORE INSTALLING IT I DID A BANDWIDTH SPEED TEST AND GOT THE RESULTS ON AVERAGE 3000-4000 KBPS..NOW AFTER INSTALLING THE BEFSR41 I CAN ONLY GET 500-700 KBPS ..
    I NOTICED SOME PAGES STALL FOR A FEW SECS BEFORE LOADING .
    BOTH COMPUTERS ,PENTIUM 3 500 MHZ WITH 128 RAM AND A PENTIUM 200 MHZ WITH 64 MB RAM ,BOTH ARE USING WIN ME AN LINKSYS LNETX100 CARDS ..I TRIED CHANGING THE CONNECTION TYPE FROM TP100FULL DUPLEX TO AUTO AND NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP SPEED IT Up.
    i got faster results using windows ics..
    help.....i tried the new firmware 1.37 and it did nothing .

[This message has been edited by gibson1 (edited February 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by gibson1 (edited February 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by gibson1 (edited February 28, 2001).]

*BSOD*

I have the same Linksys and cable modem and had the same problem. I called the Cable compny and they put me in touch with a engineer who sent me a MTU patch. I ran it and it speeded it up a bit but also went to SkyLam's and downloaded Intelli Dialup (Free)after a friend told me about it and it boosted me up even faster. www.skylam.com
    I test my bandwith from MSN's Page but it varys from week to week and is much faster after Midnight. Depends on how many people in your area are using it at the same time.

what FIRMWARE are you using?

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

I am also using 1.37

I have a slight delay, this is normal!

you can reverse the DNS in the router, also on the browser [I.E]go to TOOLS - OPTION - CONNECTIONS - LAN SETTINGS - and uncheck everything, if everything is unchecked then CHECK, AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS

-wayne

------------------

An MTU patch isn't always the answer and can actualy make things worse!

Also this may be of help.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...p_pg2.htm#1_35

So, if you aren't comfortable doing this, don't. Or at least back up your data first!

If you did change the default setting, you need to set back to default;

Method 1 - Delete the Registry values manually Your best bet is to first try deleting the registry entries that change the values from their Microsoft-defined defaults.

For Win95/98
    Navigate to this registry branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet
    \Services\VxD\MSTCP

and delete the "DefaultRcvWindow" entry.

For WinNT/2000
    Navigate to this registry branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet
    \Services\Tcpip\Parameters

and delete the "TcpWindowSize" entry.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wbatten (edited March 02, 2001).]

computerpro

I've installed over twenty BEFSR41 Router/Switch Combo's on both Cable Modems and DSL connections.

They work great...easy to set-up and readily work at full duplex speeds with inexpensive Linksys DFE530TX NIC's installed.

As a former 3COM only guy,(In the old days I was converted when I stopped reading the 3COM hype and started running my own file transfer and access tests.
    (I learned that a $14. PCI 10/100 performed as well as a $75. 3COM NIC)

Based on my experience with them, and the fact that I've used COMCAST (cable), Verizon(DSL), Bell Atlantic(DSL) and COVAD(DSL) all with superior performance, I'd say your cable provider is the culprit here.
    (Unless your settings are somehow incredibly wrong but functional)...probably not.

Honestly, you're looking in the wrong place. Search out a "local" tech website/discussion board and find out what the rest of your local "peers" are doing.

I'm quite sure you're not alone.