[RESOLVED] Connecting Win98 and WinNT comps via Serial Cable

Thread: [RESOLVED] Connecting Win98 and WinNT comps via Serial Cable

Oklahoma_Outlaw

Wink Connecting Win98 and WinNT comps via Serial Cable

Could someone help me with connecting a Win98 comp. to a WinNT comp. via Serial Cable. My question is "How" ?
    Thanks to all, for any help with this.
    [email protected]

First do you have a crossover cable? If you use a straight through there is no way to send and receive.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

The question I have is why. Serial connections are very slow. Is there any chance of using a CAT5 Patch cable. That would be much more efficient.

first you need a crossover "null" cable, paralel versions ar avaliable(faster than serial

If WinNT has Direct Cable Connect(check add/remove programs or equiv), then use it, otherwise you will probably need to use something like Laplink.

I do however highly reccomend doing it with a crossover Cat5 ethernet cable and put a NIC in the Desktop and in the laptop
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Question

Rellik: I never succeded in connecting parallel-crossover cable to WinNT... am I wrong that the NT-HAL prevents tools from using the parallel port? I used LapLink and other remotecontrol tools but none gave me the option to connect to LPTn: ... so what?

As answer to the question above, I would in fact use a remote control tool that can use com-ports (I know there are free ones, but I don't remember the names). And don't forget that the cable must be a crossed-one!

BTW: I think there are obvious reasons for using the serial port instead of the network:
    - ...when NT is connected to a network and you want to connect to a device that shouldn't be in the same net (for security reason, for company strategy, ....)
    - ...when you don't have NIC or don't want to reconfigure it.
    - ...when you're really scared of intruders
    - ... (think of more to insert here) ...

Higg

hmmm what files system are you use for NT if your useing ntfs i dont think it will work cuz win 98 uses fat32 not seen bye winnt
    i could be wrong but thats what i think i wouldnt even try to use serial though just my nickle
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Higg:
    [B]Rellik: I never succeded in connecting parallel-crossover cable to WinNT... am I wrong that the NT-HAL prevents tools from using the parallel port? I used LapLink and other remotecontrol tools but none gave me the option to connect to LPTn: ... so what?

As answer to the question above, I would in fact use a remote control tool that can use com-ports (I know there are free ones, but I don't remember the names). And don't forget that the cable must be a crossed-one!

BTW: I think there are obvious reasons for using the serial port instead of the network:
    - ...when NT is connected to a network and you want to connect to a device that shouldn't be in the same net (for security reason, for company strategy, ....)
    - ...when you don't have NIC or don't want to reconfigure it.
    - ...when you're really scared of intruders
    - ... (think of more to insert here) ...

Nt does not use the parallel port the same as 9xx. It is not seen as a logical port. If you want to use parallel there is a driver that converts real to logical. If you do want to run parallel let me know.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Originally posted by n8dawg:
    hmmm what files system are you use for NT if your useing ntfs i dont think it will work cuz win 98 uses fat32 not seen bye winnt
    i could be wrong but thats what i think i wouldnt even try to use serial though just my nickle
    What have different FAT's to do with file-sharing via serial cable? That's surely the wrong answer... If you have the same tool at both sides working, then you can connect and access the shared resources!