FTP through a HTTP only connection?

Thread: FTP through a HTTP only connection?

Question FTP through a HTTP only connection?

My friend uses a free ISP where they only allow HTTP use. I was wondering if there are any programs that route FTP connections through HTTP or let you use ICQ through a HTTP only connection.

Thanx,

BurnFEST ( aka Sam Burney )

The ISP is probably blocking what port you are allowed to communicate through. Probably only allowing port 80 and maybe a few others. You could use any protocol as long as the port is allowed by the firewall (FTP running at port 80, doubtful but whatever).

As far as running ICQ goes, there is a Java version. Iam not sure how it works but it's worth a shot.

Have your buddy sign up for a real ISP if all else fails. Could use AOL for your 30 days then when the trial is up call and cancel and they offer you more days for free. Repeat . I know AOL is not a real isp, but it will let you to wherever you want to go on the net.

You need to look into HTTP tunneling. Do a google or some kind of search on it for starters. Also look here http://http-tunnel.com/newpage/index.htm
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

porting FTP through HTTP usually has tpo be done from the FTP server side...if the server admin will let you then YES is your answer, it is possible. ICQ uses a special UDP port and cant (that i am aware of) be ported through HTTP...there are other instant messenges that can however..yahoo comes to mind
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "