IP Masquerading???

Thread: IP Masquerading???

Post IP Masquerading???

Here is an interesting problem I can't get my head round!
    I have a large home network consisting of 7 pc's. All use internet sharing on ADSL.
    The Windows 98se machine is connected to the internet and runs a website.
    My Windows NT machine connects to the internet via the internet sharing facilities of W98se and works fine. BUT here's the bigge!!!
    I have Real Server installed on the NT 4 machine and need to MASQUERADE this to stream data through the internet connection. The system works fine on all internal P.Cs but because I only have 1 external TCP/IP address on the internet It is BLIND to the outside world.
    Does anyone know how to set up IP Masquerading to try and get round this problem without re-arranging the way my network currently uses the internet connection?
    Thanks peoples....
    Regards,
    Roy Dennis.

Intercomm makes several routers for DHCP internet sharing both for ADSL and Cable Modems. these are available at most small computer shops and cost around 150.00 to 200.00.There is no need to configure Dynamic IP's DHCP is automatic asignment of all IP's on your network.
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

What you are looking for is some type of Port Forwarding software suite for your win98 computer to use interactively with ICS. I do not know if one exists for 98, possibly www.analogx.com has something for you such as Proxy and Portmapper. As VP said above there is an easy hardware alternative which is getting a DSL/Cable router that supports NAT(to somewhat protect your network) and port forwarding or possibly DMZ host which you see discussions about all the time in the network forums here. Another alternative would be to use Win2k as your connection to the internet which supports NAT and other firewall technologies along with the port forwarding you desire to your Real server. These are only a couple of the ways that it can be done, I'm sure others will post some other ways of doing what you need done.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Run AnalogX portmapper. You won't need to change your network config. You run portmapper on the machine directly connected to the net. Then you can add in your servers IP and port(s) and the port you want to share it on. Then you can connect using the port you specified. If you use random ports or something of that nature then it wouldn't work too well. It's good for a simple FTP/HTTP/Telnet type thing.

EDIT: The URL to that program is:
    AnalogX Portmapper