Transferring the PDC Role
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transferring the PDC Role

Post Transferring the PDC Role

I've got 2 servers here:

1. NT 4.0 Server: PDC
    2. Win2K Adv. Svr: BDC

Now I want to take (1) down, and make (2) the PDC. However, I can't promote (2) from (1)'s server manager... It tells me that "the network request is not supported".

So what do I do?

Thanks,
    Tim

you will have to convert your existing pdc to win2000 or take it down because in a win2000 network you can't have a pdc and a Win2000 domain controller. (ms did away with pdc and bdc)
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

I was afraid of that. So does that mean that I will need to manually re-create all the user and group profiles on my win2000 box? I've only got about 10 users, so it's not a big deal.

tk

barryjo

Well, if your 2k server is a "BDC", you dont have to re-create anything at all. Do this for a test.... Shut down your NT4 "PDC" and keep the 2k Server up. Now try to log into your domain, use some shares, etc. If you dont have any problems, you are all set! Do you plan on using active dir? Once you run dcpromo on the 2K server, your old domain will be migrated into the active dir. Also, If you have ANY problems (or phuck up)... Just shut down the 2k server, and up the old nt4 server. Now your right back at the beginning. You'll have your original domain up, and can try figure out what went wrong.

ok, thanks for your help. here's where I'm at now.

this active directory deal is a mess. So I've learned that for a 2K server to be a domain controller, it must run active directory. Am I right? That's what I've figured.

So, I've been trying to setup Active Directory. But I have 2 options:
    1. Create a new domain.
    2. Make this server into another controller for an existing domain. This is what I want.

But when I try to go through with (2), it says that it can't find the domain controller. Even though I'm logged onto it...

So I'm stuck. I can't get active directory installed, so I can't make the 2k box into the domain controller.

Please help, if you can.

tk

by the way, the exact error message that i get is:

Active Directory Installation Wizard
    The domain "innov8v.com" cannot be contacted. Select a different domain. (If this domain was recently created, its name may not yet be registered with the Domain Naming Service.)

barryjo

Do you have a working DNS in your LAN? No dns = No active dir.

Just to make sure you are clear on something:

1.) A win2000 server can't be a BDC to an NT 4.0 PDC.

2.) DCPROMO (I know you've found) runs the active directory wizard. In order for you to add another domain controller into the scenario you have to have an existing Active Directory structure.
    The first server you run DCPROMO on whether its an upgrade or a new install will be the "PDC emulator" of the active directory.

In your situation you can either upgrade the existing NT PDC then run dcpromo on the win2000 server to make it a domain controller. Or just run dcpromo on the win2000 server and create a new domain in a new active directory forest.

Sorry for the length, hope this didn't confuse you.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

- I don't know that I understand under win2k how to create a domain without installing active dir. And I don't know how to install active dir w/o installing dns. It's a vicious program...

- Yes, I figured out that there is no such thing as BDC in win2k.

- Yes, I did find dcpromo. That's where I'm stuck. I can run it, and I choose that I want to setup an additional domain controller for my existing domain (as opposed to a separate domain). It asks me for the admin user/pass and the domain. Then it asks me for the dns name. The one that's set up is innov8v.com. If I click on Browse, it's there. But when I click on next, it says it cannot be located.

I found a way to get around, but not really. If I type "innov8v" instead of "innov8v.com", it tells me "the dns name format is innov8v.com. Is that what you mean?" And I say yes, and then it lets me continue to the screens where I choose the destination folders.

Finally, it gets to the point where it begins the install process. The very first phase of this process says it is "starting". Before getting any further, it gives me the message:

The domain "innov8v.com" cannot be contacted. Select a different domain. (If this domain was recently created, its name may not yet be registered with the Domain Naming Service.)

Probably what it all boils down to is me not understanding why I need a DNS on my server (because as far as I can tell, I don't need one, but it sure as hell wants to be there).

Thanks for all your help...
    tim

Tim,

As far as I can gather you don't have an existing 2000 domain, thats why you can't add in another domain controller.

By the way did you send me an e-mail requesting some security links?? If it is sorry I will get them to you I'm just very busy right now.

the man:

I upgraded my NT server to Windows 2000, which we are logging into now. So we DO have an existing 2000 domain.

........ what a pain in the *** THIS is!

I think I did email you. No problem, take you time, and thanks in advance!

tk

OK, I'm still following you. When you upgraded your NT PDC to 2000 and ran dcpromo, DNS should have been installed on that machine. Make sure you have the IP address of that machine in the DNS settings of the second server. Then run DCPROMO and you should be able to add the second domain controller.

Of course you may already be doing this...

ahhh, ok. I will give this a shot. that seems to make sense. thanks.

Let me know how you make out...

Ok, sorry for the delay, I got tied up with other stuff.

I tried what you said: I added the IP address of the DC (10.1.1.8) in the list of DNS addresses. Still no luck. It still cannot find the domain name server.

I'm pretty stuck. Any more help would be great.