[RESOLVED] ipx/spx blue screen

Thread: [RESOLVED] ipx/spx blue screen

n1neball

Question ipx/spx blue screen

running two computers for a retail business. point of sale computer is running windows 2000 pro, office computer runs nt4.0.

when i configure the protocols to run ipx/spx, the office computer crashes (blue screen) after i log on to counter top program.

tcp/ip doesn't crash, but conectivity is slower and less reliable.

any ideas?

MAC

I have had that same problem. I'm not sure why this fixed it, but what I did was run Netbeui along with TCP/IP. In theory it shouldn't work but, heh, its only theory. Give it a shot. G-Luck

StevePorter

Lightbulb

I've stayed away from IPX/SPX, except in the old days when I needed to hook to a Novell network. I've found NetBEUI to work really well in a peer-to-peer environment, only using TCP/IP to connect to the Internet via a shared DSL modem...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MAC:
    I have had that same problem. I'm not sure why this fixed it, but what I did was run Netbeui along with TCP/IP. In theory it shouldn't work but, heh, its only theory. Give it a shot. G-Luck</font>
    If the netbeui installed as the default protocol it didn't really 'fix' anything--it merely replaced the in this case 'buggy' tcp/ip protocol and your communication is now going over netbeui.

Additionally, can't remember the last time I used ipx/spx...

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Tux

Don't use IPX/SPX unless you are using a Novell Network. Stick with TCP/IP make sure you have the computers all on the same network, ie. 10.0.0.1 , 10.0.0.2 and so on.

------------------
    Cache miss - please take better aim next time