TTL

Thread: TTL

Post TTL

What is TTL? I know that it means time to live, but what does it do? I am having problems with my cable disconnecting me from chat progs and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?

Thanks!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

Do a Ping (or Better OmniPing) Every Few Seconds and The ISP won't Disconnect you.

The ISP's Disconnect Users if their Idle time is more than 5 Min. In general

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Larommi:
    What is TTL? I know that it means time to live, but what does it do? I am having problems with my cable disconnecting me from chat progs and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?
    </font>
    It probably does.....try using a closer chat server. TTL is normally used by routers to designate hop count....routers limit the number of "hops" that a packet of data can travel before it is discarded (used sometimes to prevent routing loops.....very bad things). So your data is being forced to travel too far, and your connection is getting losed because of dropped packets, probably.

The moral of all this is: Find a closer server.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

CiscoGuy

Lightbulb

You are asking about the IP Time to Live. It is an an 8-bit header field in every IP packet, set by the orginator, in this case YOU. What happens normally is every time your packet is routed it gets decremented by one, somtimes it can be by more than one but I won't even talk about that. Once this value hits 0 the packet will be discarded and will never reach its destination.

With the information you have given, it is unlikely that you are describing a TTL problem. If this were the case, chances are you would have problems connecting to start with, however with the internet being the way it is some of your packets may take different routes to the same hosts and you could run into a ttl problem this way.

To the person who said you need to do pings every couple of minutes to stay alive, this may be true on analog dialup. With cable, however you don't, it is always there, always up.

condor

I think the problem is in your configuration.

Some NIC don't work well if set to full duplex mode.

try setting your card to half duplex mode.

also another good idea will be to reset your cable modem every once in a while (you can do it usually via a http interface or just disconnect it from the AC outlet for a sew seconds)

one more thing I would do is release the IP you have and renew the lease (if your ISP uses DHCP)

just type in start -> run
    ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

other factors that may effct you are personal firewall and routers problem.

try to do a traceroute to the server you have problems with.

tracert ipaddress

and also try a large ping to see any communications problems the default ping will not show.

ping -t -l 30000 -w 5000 ipadress

good luck.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

CiscoGuy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by condor:

and also try a large ping to see any communications problems the default ping will not show.

ping -t -l 30000 -w 5000 ipadress

[/B]</font>

This is a VERY good idea, along with the trace routes. Usually though a 1500 byte payload is good enough, which is close to the size of an ethernet cell. But a huge one like this will show if there are problems segmenting. Anyway this will show if you are having problems with data being dropped before it hits your server.

If you can ping them, and the traceroute looks ok. Then the problem is software, either on your end or theirs.

Thanks for everyones help and the quick education. Much appreciated!
    I think I found the problem. As soon as I removed ICS everything started working fine! Time to go get that cable router!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

Because the Internet has grown to the point where routes including greater than 32 hops

The TTL Should be set to 128 hops, now days!

Regedit can correct this.....

Another example of Microsoft's poor understanding of the Internet.

-wayne

References;
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...n_SRCH&SPR=W98

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

[This message has been edited by wbatten (edited March 03, 2001).]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CiscoGuy:
    You are asking about the IP Time to Live. It is an an 8-bit header field in every IP packet, set by the orginator, in this case YOU. What happens normally is every time your packet is routed it gets decremented by one, somtimes it can be by more than one but I won't even talk about that. Once this value hits 0 the packet will be discarded and will never reach its destination.

With the information you have given, it is unlikely that you are describing a TTL problem. If this were the case, chances are you would have problems connecting to start with, however with the internet being the way it is some of your packets may take different routes to the same hosts and you could run into a ttl problem this way.

To the person who said you need to do pings every couple of minutes to stay alive, this may be true on analog dialup. With cable, however you don't, it is always there, always up.
    </font>
    right on the money Pikachu

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"