Utilizing Cable Network for File Sharing.

Thread: Utilizing Cable Network for File Sharing.

Question Utilizing Cable Network for File Sharing.

Myself and my business partner live about a mile apart in the same subdivision. We both have Roadrunner, and both have installed LAN's in our houses Using Win2k Adavanced Server/Professional. I want to figure out a way to utilize the Roadrunner network to link our domains. Can't have a commercial account in the residential area here. Rebuilding our networks is not out of the question, we just are not sure if Roadrunner has some sort of block for this. I was thinking maybe WINS? Any help would be appreciated.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

What is a "Roadrunner"?

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Sorry,

Roadrunner is the broadband cable access provided locally by Time Warner for high speed Internet access.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

StevePorter

Lightbulb

You can set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between your two computers. Unfortunately, my experience is that the VPN is a one-way street (client-to-host), and not like a peer-to-peer that goes both ways at the same time...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

jrwilson

PCAnywhere has secure point-to-point capabilities....all you should need(considering limited info on roadrunner) is the IP address of your partners machine. what kind of access do you require??

------------------
    "Don't hate the media....BECOME the media!!" Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys

condor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Melmac:
    Myself and my business partner live about a mile apart in the same subdivision. We both have Roadrunner, and both have installed LAN's in our houses Using Win2k Adavanced Server/Professional. I want to figure out a way to utilize the Roadrunner network to link our domains. Can't have a commercial account in the residential area here. Rebuilding our networks is not out of the question, we just are not sure if Roadrunner has some sort of block for this. I was thinking maybe WINS? Any help would be appreciated.</font>

there's a very simple solution but I'm not sure it will work.

It takes a few seconds to setup and try so you might give it a shot.

open a public share (read) on your friends computer.

try to use \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\share (replace the XXX with the IP of his computer) if you can access it carry on reading..

you may setup WINS or open the lmhosts file on your computer and add at the end of the file the Netbios name and the IP address of your friends computer. do the same at his place (adding your IP adress and computername)
    (make sure when you save the file that you don't have any extensions)

Good Luck.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

xtac

You should be able to do what Condor suggested. The data would not be encrypted.

W2k Server and adv. server can do "VPN's". I have not done PtoP, but the Client to win2k server does work well and is very easy to configure.

If you are looking for encryption I'm sure M$ Site has information.

------------------
    http://www.mymcginley.com

Just make sure you ONLY allow connections from the other computer....make sure neither one of you allow administrator access to the share (anyone logged on to your Roadrunner as an admin may get access). And the best thing to do would be to allow only one user at a time (set it up in the sharing dialog) to access each shared resource. So if he's in your machine, no one else can get in. ANd if he can't get in, you know someone else is being naughty. I think you'd be better off setting up a VPN though...I believe they CAN be done peer-to-peer.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

robbydobby

well if it is just some file shareing needed done u can set up a ftp site on ur hdd so that he can log on to your computer and get the files he needs same vise versa or as well u use pc any where as well to do some the samr thing

------------------
    How do I set my laser printer to "stun"?
    I can't back up my hard drive, there's no reverse button.