[RESOLVED] SMC or Linksys Cable/DSL Router?

Thread: [RESOLVED] SMC or Linksys Cable/DSL Router?

gren

Question SMC or Linksys Cable/DSL Router?

I'm having a hard time choosing between these two routers.

1. Linksys Router:

Good Points: DHCP, VPN, MAC spoofing, good web browser interface.

Bad Points: Crappy-*** Tech Support, Humongous Power Supply.

2. SMC Router (8 Port) Router:

Good Points: DHCP, VPN, Printer Server, Power Supply built-in to case, good tech support, good web browser interface.

Bad Points: No Mac spoofing!!!

Item for item, these routers are VERY similar.. but it comes to this:

Do I want to get the Linksys and sacrifice the print server port? Or get the SMC and sacrifice the cool Mac spoofing?

The best of all possible worlds would be for someone to come along and tell me I'm wrong about the SMC routers, and they do in fact support Mac spoofing.

Anyone have one of these beasts? Lemme know!

Lemme know what you guys think or what you've heard about these routers..

gren

up

I have the Linksys with a cable modem. It works very well, and doesn't noticably impact the speed. I have heard that the Linky has problems with PPPoE but that they had been resolved with the latest firmware revision. I would check <a href="www.practicallynetworked.com"> this site</a> for more information. Remember the Linkysys routers come in a variety of flavors 1port, 4port or 8port switches, wireless and print-server. So check <a href="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=171&grid=5">their site</a> for a current list of their routers.

Besides the Linky looks far cooler than the SMC and that's what matters.
    end of line.

as far as im concerned the MAC spoofing is a FAR more valuable asset than simple print services. what type of network will you be installing this on? if its a home network then just share the printer and be done with it.
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

I use a linksys and it works fine. Never had to call tech support. It has been up and running for who knows how long. If you do go with linksys be sure to get the latest firmware upgrade. With the upgrade you can differentiate between tcp and udp (just one of the things that I like and wanted).
    To each his/her own.

I'm using the Linksys router with my cable and highly recomend it. Its very easy to setup and I have not had any problems with it.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

LINKSYS SUCKS. So that leaves you with SMC which are ok but if you want to spend and extra 50.00 and get a SWEEEETTTTT lil soho router go to www.nexland.com me and 2 buddies have been running them for a month and they SMOKE LINKSUCKS. Yes we did do troughput test on both none of ours nexlands have locked once either. So thats my 2 cents. X
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

I've installed quite a few Linksys without any hassles or failures. I've installed two SMC's and both failed in the first week.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

All the cable/DSL routers available are comparable in quality and features, just make sure you have the lastest firmware patch and they shouldn't give you any trouble.