[RESOLVED] Problems with Home Networking and ICS

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problems with Home Networking and ICS

Techy-Chic

Question Problems with Home Networking and ICS

I bought a 3-Com USB phoneline networking kit so that I could network my computer downstairs with my daughter's computer upstairs. Both computers saw each other, but I couldn't get hers to recognize that there was an internet connection available. Now, I'll be the first to admit that my networking skills are limited, so I had one of my tech friends come over who's knowledge of networking is pretty strong, hoping that he could get it to work. He finally got the DSL to share, but the internet connection is dropping on her computer after about 20 seconds or so (seems like after the data starts really streaming), and then the entire network connection is lost. I have to reset both computers in order for them to even see each other again.

Since I'm using a DSL connection I thought maybe it was something in my phonelines. I called my phone company and they told me that my DSL connection won't share over the USB/phoneline setup. So then I called 3-Com and they told me that yes, their product does work with DSL and that it's an issue with my ICS that only MS can take care of. I haven't called MS simply because I don't want to deal with the hold time or the possible fees they will want to charge me to tell me that's it's not their problem.

The book that came with the kit says that it's very simple to setup and that anyone can do it. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this since the two of us -both techs- can't get the thing to hold an internet connection.

Here's my setup if that will help at all:
    My phone jack next to my computer has two connections coming out of it. When my DSL was setup, the phone guy told me to only use "this" jack for the computer connection. We'll call that jack 1. The other jack (#2) is what my regular phone plugs into. Jack 1 is setup as it always has been, running a line through a DSL modem and a Linksys router to my NIC card in my computer. Jack 2 has the 3-Com unit plugged directly into it with my regular phone coming out of the unit itself, like the manual said to do. I tried moving the unit onto Jack 1 so it was sitting between the modem and the wall but that did nothing but cause confusion with the network. I lost all connectivity that way. The way it is setup now, the two computer can see each other, so I'm assuming that this is the right way to do it. But what is causing the internet connection to drop everything once it is engaged upstairs?

And ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As a DSl user myself, I would tend to agree with the phone company. Although I have no knowledge of the 3com phoneline setup, it is a possibility that the network maybe attempting to operate in the same bandwidth range as the DSL. Might try running a seperate phone cable from your machine to your daughter's. A seperate physical link may eliminate the conflict. Also, I was advised by my DSL ISP to avoid using 900Mhz cordless phones on the same line as my DSL. This is because the DSL takes up the entire upper bandwidth and part of that includes 900Mhz when it is in use. When it is not in use, I get no interference with the phone. (I eventually switched to a corded phone).
    It looks like when the data begins flowing down the DSL pipe, it automatically excludes the bandwidth range for the 3com network. If the network kit will allow, try the direct connection.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I have a similar prob with ICS. I have two system networked, with the host set as network server in performance options, with a dialup. When I connect the dialup with ICS disabled, my connection runs great. Enable ICS, and the dialup remains connected, but all transfer stops. I have changed from dedicated IP addresses to DHCP, and uninstalled and reinstalled ICS.

The network passes data just great.

Good luck, but I think it is MS.