Computers not seeing each other

Thread: Computers not seeing each other

Post Computers not seeing each other

I have two PCs - both with 98 installed. They are not seeing each other in the NEtwork neighborhood. One of them does recognize the other via ping. They have the same Workgroup name. They do see themselves in the Network neighborhood. IP addresses are entered. Protocols established. THey are connected via a hub. The hub lights are on. The lights on the cards light up. Is ther anything else to check?

Sounds like a protocol problem. What protocols do you have installed?

You said they don't see each other then they do see each other??

Do you have anything shared on the computers? Sometimes when there is nothing shared you won't be able to see the other PC.

Have you any firewalls installed and are they configured to accept the other IP address?
    What IP/Subnets are you using?
    As the last post have you set folder/printer sharing in network properties and set sharing against drives/folders in explorer with relavent access rights ?
    What Network protocols are you using TCP/IP etc etc ?

Make sure file and printer sharing is on for both PC's
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

if you have "realtek" based cards - make sure you're not trying to use 100Mbit full duplex .. or any "full duplex" settings..

it just doesn't work..

Originally posted by giggles7:
    One of them does recognize the other via ping...
    That's a point to look for... When you are able to ping from one to the other it MUST be possible to ping from the other back... ping only works if both NICs are up, running and configured...
    If you don't have a special routing configuration (i assume you are on the same ip-range with your PC's) there could be some solutions:

- you may have a firewall (or other tool) installed that prevents pings (ICMP) go through the computer that doesn't respond.
    - there might be a subnet-conflict - check your netmask, they must both be the same!

Originally posted by ShadowKing:
    Make sure file and printer sharing is on for both PC's
    To giggles:

This is usually what has to be done when networking 98.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Originally posted by condor:
    if you have "realtek" based cards - make sure you're not trying to use 100Mbit full duplex .. or any "full duplex" settings..

it just doesn't work..
    mine seems to work fine
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001