Tracking Internet Usage

Thread: Tracking Internet Usage

Post Tracking Internet Usage

Hello! We are having an employee who we believe is utilizing the internet for some personal online dating, which is of course strictly prohibited! We are trying to figure out a way to track our employees interet traffic & content, and also limit what they can view on the net. What is the best way to 1. See what they have been looking at, and 2. Limit what they can look at.???? We have Win 2000 small business server, with Win 2000 PRO on the workstations. We have a dsl connection with all the computers connecting through the server. We also have a sonic firewall. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

I'm not familiar with sonic firewall, but typically firewall progs have somewhere where you can ban domains (eg <a href="http://www.wasteworktimehere.com)." target="_blank">www.wasteworktimehere.com).</a> I'd check his history or temp directories to find out the exact domains that he is frequenting, then block each one.

You might also want to think about putting a proxy server in place that logs where each user visits. Symantec has a good one, but I think it's kind of pricy.
    WWBRD?

MS Proxy will do what you want, but it isnt exactly cheap.

This can also be done with several linux based firewalls, or any multitude of software, and hardware firewalling options on the market.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I am going to look into it!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>MS Proxy will do what you want, but it isnt exactly cheap.

This can also be done with several linux based firewalls, or any multitude of software, and hardware firewalling options on the market.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">MS proxy would do it, but for a 2k server ISA server would more then likely be better suited. It can log all web traffic, you can retrict IP's and domains. etc.. It also acts has a firewall.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

We use MS Proxy here.

Price wise, when you pitch it to Administration, it is cheap compared to losing a lawsuit (like sexual harassment). And if everyone knows they are being logged it is cheaper than lost productivity.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded