Beginner - Token Ring

Thread: Beginner - Token Ring

Unhappy Beginner - Token Ring

I know it is very old.
    I have an IBM 16/4 TR and I was wondering if and how to get it to boot to/from the 100bT network.
    is this possible? I have quite a few IBM 365xd's that need OS and it is time cosuming to remove the HD and ghost them. wondering how to get them to boot and use resorces off of a 98SE server.
    any suggestions/articles recommended?
    all help is greatly appreciated.
    thanx.
    .-+M+-.
    <a href="http://www.masam.net" target="_blank">www.masam.net</a>

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MasaM:
    <strong>I know it is very old.
    I have an IBM 16/4 TR and I was wondering if and how to get it to boot to/from the 100bT network.
    is this possible? I have quite a few IBM 365xd's that need OS and it is time cosuming to remove the HD and ghost them. wondering how to get them to boot and use resorces off of a 98SE server.
    any suggestions/articles recommended?
    all help is greatly appreciated.
    thanx.
    .-+M+-.
    <a href="http://www.masam.net" target="_blank">www.masam.net</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tolkein ring cards use a different technology then ethernet. even though the plug is the same, the card is not compatible with Ethernet.

I can put up more details on the issue later if you want.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Talking

this would be a very kewl thing as I am unknowledgeable in this arena. I know most of the basics on ethernet....but I didnt start out the networking with TR. Is there any way to link them?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MasaM:
    <strong>this would be a very kewl thing as I am unknowledgeable in this arena. I know most of the basics on ethernet....but I didnt start out the networking with TR. Is there any way to link them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A router between the two should do nicely
    DON'T PANIC

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MasaM:
    <strong>this would be a very kewl thing as I am unknowledgeable in this arena. I know most of the basics on ethernet....but I didnt start out the networking with TR. Is there any way to link them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A router between the two should do nicely </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Regualr routers will not do. I'll explain in detail in a couple of hours. I'm currently on the clock and need to keep my replies short.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MasaM:
    <strong>this would be a very kewl thing as I am unknowledgeable in this arena. I know most of the basics on ethernet....but I didnt start out the networking with TR. Is there any way to link them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A router between the two should do nicely </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Regualr routers will not do. I'll explain in detail in a couple of hours. I'm currently on the clock and need to keep my replies short.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, It was a flying guess, but I found one that supports both.
    <a href="http://www.provantage.com/VCSCR07P.HTM" target="_blank">http://www.provantage.com/VCSCR07P.HTM</a>
    DON'T PANIC

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by techleet:
    <strong>this would be a very kewl thing as I am unknowledgeable in this arena. I know most of the basics on ethernet....but I didnt start out the networking with TR. Is there any way to link them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A router between the two should do nicely </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Regualr routers will not do. I'll explain in detail in a couple of hours. I'm currently on the clock and need to keep my replies short.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, It was a flying guess, but I found one that supports both.
    <a href="http://www.provantage.com/VCSCR07P.HTM" target="_blank">http://www.provantage.com/VCSCR07P.HTM</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is a $2000 US for a CISCO Router. Most people refer to a home gateway has a router here.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    token

Frame that contains control information. Possession of the token allows a network device to transmit data onto the network. See also token passing.

token bus

LAN architecture using token passing access over a bus topology. This LAN architecture is the basis for the IEEE 802.4 LAN specification.

token passing

Access method by which network devices access the physical medium in an orderly fashion based on possession of a small frame called a token. Contrast with circuit switching and contention.

Token Ring

Token-passing LAN developed and supported by IBM. Token Ring runs at 4 or 16 Mbps over a ring topology. Similar to IEEE 802.5. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">So Basicly, Tolken ring passes the token from device to device, only the device that has the tolken can send out information onto the wire. The problem with the token is that you require cards and devices that can accept the token.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Ethernet

Baseband LAN specification invented by Xerox Corporation and developed jointly by Xerox, Intel, and Digital Equipment Corporation. Ethernet networks use CSMA/CD and run over a variety of cable types at 10 Mbps. Ethernet is similar to the IEEE 802.3 series of standards.

CSMA/CD

Carrier sense multiple access collision detect. Media-access mechanism wherein devices ready to transmit data first check the channel for a carrier. If no carrier is sensed for a specific period of time, a device can transmit. If two devices transmit at once, a collision occurs and is detected by all colliding devices. This collision subsequently delays retransmissions from those devices for some random length of time. CSMA/CD access is used by Ethernet and IEEE 802.3.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The second definition says it all.

All quoted definitions are from CISCO, Unfortunatly I am unable to provide any links.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Red face

So it might be worthwhile to drop a 16/4 into my desktop and try setting up a small token then?
    How would I set up softs that will enable the laptop to boot from the desktop at this point?

I've not actualy worked with token ring, so i'm not sure... token ring is used for reliability, ethernet for speed.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Smile

well..this has been very helpful.
    I want to thank you guys for all of your info.
    .-+M+-.
    Sam Mertz
    <a href="http://www.masam.net" target="_blank">www.masam.net</a>

in short, implementing a TR network would be like torturing urslf w/ a 33.6 dialup...have worked with them...we have i net kiosks to price match the competition...work on TR and are very slow...when u have the token u run with it or our system times out and resets the i net default page
    (company site)
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1