Limited broadband .... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Limited broadband ....

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by szabour:
    <strong>Some of U said that bandwith is expensive to companies which I truly believe but what I do not understand is the way ISP's raise the price of their service .We have been enjoying unlimited cable/dsl service for a few years now with no limit of how much we can download and upload for around $40-50 a month.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">All aussies know exactly how you feel...

I think the fact is that ISP's that offer unlimited are all losing money...I mean have a look how many have gone broke lately (a really good example is us/australia broadband provider, Excite@Home), is why a lot of ISP's have decided to go transfer limiting.

I was under the impression that canadian broadband was so cheap because the government subsidised it...maybe the govenment have deicded not to anymore and the ISP's need to support themselves?

Burn.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BurnFEST:
    <strong>...I was under the impression that canadian broadband was so cheap because the government subsidised it...
    Burn.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The government did offer incentives for families to get hooked up and/or buy a PC a few months ago, but I'm not aware of specific government investments in ISPs.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

[rant]

OK, the lowdown from the Australian ISP inside..

Basically, to set up an ISP is damn expensive. This initial monetary outlay may mean that the service wont actually be turning a profit for a while, and with lots of ISP start ups still popping up, its harder and harder to get a piece of the consumer pie, which means its harder to cover bills, etc..etc..

After working in an ISP for some time, and watching the money change hands, and seeing how damn hard it is to make the ends meet, while upping the stakes in the communications race, in a country that is well and truly behind on development in some circles, is really, really hard.

A 5, or even a 10 gig limit on your accounts? Oh Boo Hoo Hoo. Quit leeching from warez FTP and pr0n and get over yourselves... sheeesh..

[/rant]
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars